Graphics Cards

TikPandora
Journeyman III

Radeon RX 6600 - Issues After Issues

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600x

GPU - Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6600

RAM - 32GB XPG Gammix D20 @3600 mHz

Motherboard - Asus Tuf Gaming B550m Plus WiFi II

Storage - WD Black SN770 500GB (Boot) + SK Hynix Gold 1TB SATA SSD (Game Storage)

PSU - EVGA 650W G5

So, I recently built this PC and everything has been great except for the new RX 6600 that I chose for my GPU. I'm not expecting a lot out of it, playing games like Raft and things like that, but I've had quite a few issues with the card that I have absolutely no idea how to fix. I've been team red for professors for as long as I've owned computers, but this is my first non NVidia GPU and I really regret the move.

I play at 1080 Ultrawide and I experience random stuttering, FPS drops, and frame timing issues. I've tried to tweak numerous settings but nothing seems to fix it. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason. A game can report a steady 60 fps and then suddenly report one instance of 25 before jumping back up to normal.

One thing I was told to try was a driver only install but that introduced its own can of worms. Not only was the process rather painful, but that brings me to another main issue with the card. At my monitors default resolution/120 hz the card runs in the mid to upper 50s and sometimes gets so hot that the fans actually kick on. This happens while it's doing nothing. The only solution is to create a custom resolution and change the blanking. Without Adrenalin I can't create custom resolutions as CRU and I don't get along very well.

All I want is to get what I paid out of this system, and frame drops and stutters in non-demanding games really bothers me especially since I paid almost $300 for the card. I know it's not the most high end piece of hardware, but I expected more than this.

0 Replies