cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

rhearmas
Journeyman III

Radeon RX 580: Why are the majority of my games experiencing constant drops in FPS after the latest driver update?

Greetings! I come here today with a request for an issue I have been having for quite some time now, and since posts that already have been made don't answer my question, I figured that asking this myself would be easier.

The Issue

For the past week or so, after updating the drivers for my HP Omen X's AMD Radeon RX 580, most of my games that I play (Dead by Daylight and Minecraft Java Edition, to name a few) have been experiencing frame issues.

Games including the aforementioned run normally for almost one second, then slows down FPS-wise for a split second, then repeats the process. Certain games such as Roblox, however, do not experience this issue, and behave normally with no flaws.

Debugging

Not many games that I was having issues with were experiencing this, until I went to Minecraft Java Edition. I opened up the FPS debugging menu, and got the results in the image below after letting it go on for about 10 seconds total.

javaw_5TlwWnFVGd.png

As you can see, the green lines represent the FPS. They are normal for a split second, then constantly go down and back up. This is consistent with the majority of games I play.

Device Information

Software

Radeon Adrenalin 2019, version 19.10.2

Hardware

Windows 10 Home 64x

Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz

12GB GDDR5 RAM

AMD Radeon RX 580 Chipset, 8192MB Memory

• Driver version: 23.20.15016.15

1266MHz Core Clock Speed

Quick Heads-Up for Respondents

I will always answer your questions to the best of my ability, as long as they are clear enough. Don't hesitate to ask instead of answer! Also, I can provide more specs that I may have missed in this original post, let me know and I'll update the main post with the missing specs.

0 Likes
8 Replies
hardreset
Elite

Try disable program monitoring like hwinfo if you use.

ASRock RX7900GRE Steel Legend, i5 13600K, Asrock Z690 PG Riptide, 32gb ddr4 4000mhz.
0 Likes

How would I go about doing this? I don't use hwinfo, it is not installed on my system.

0 Likes
rhearmas
Journeyman III

Bump for this post. Nothing has been resolved yet, still need more help.

0 Likes

It's probably the power saving feature. 

Your GPU get's automatically downlocked when it notices lower use, than when there is more load it goes up again but first you have FPS drops,... Happens with me also in some games,... 

WIth Nvidia you can just say that it does not have to save power in the driver and even for a specific game,... 

You should compain to AMD and your custom card maker,...

0 Likes

I do have Power Efficiency in Radeon Settings disabled. It makes no sense.

0 Likes

Because it constantly lowers and rises frequency's your FPS goes up and down,... 

This happens with me in some games.

You should run MSI afterburner and check how your core and memory frequency behave while you play that game you have problems with.

With power efficiency you mean energy limit ?  

That does not affect the constant throttling downward because of lower gpu usage in certain moments when playing,... 

0 Likes

In Radeon Settings => Gaming => Global Settings, there is an option called Power Efficiency. That option is disabled on my system. Feel free to look it up.

0 Likes

Oh I do not have this option. 

I use the latest driver. 

Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2019-Edition-19.11.1-Nov4

You should really update but remember to ddu it first,... 

When you have still problems and it's the fluctuating frequecy; report it,...

0 Likes