zombi3killer
Adept I

Radeon RX 580 8GB - buzzing noise then PC freezes and black screen

RX 580 8GB
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6-core
B350M Gaming MB
Patriot Viper 4 Series DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400MHz Kit
PSU Corsair TX550M

I bought this RX580 back in November 2017 for what is currently a very good price. I tried installing it on my former system and it worked for a little bit (like an hour) then the buzzing noise, blue screen, and total PC shut downs started. After a couple of days of T/S I had to revert back to my old Nvidia GT750 Ti 2GB card and was able to keep on playing games as before.
I ordered a new Corsair PSU having been told my old Seasonic was junk, it made no difference. After 9 straight hours of effort no change, PC wouldn't boot, no video signal. In the end I was no longer able to boot my system even with the Nvidia card. After more hours and hours of T/S I was told by MSI support that the MB was toast and needed RMA. The support rep insisted the RX580 was NOT the cause of any of this drama.

I couldn't wait for 6-8 weeks to get another MB from MSI so I forked out $100's of dollars for my parts which you see above. It worked. Played for hours at highest settings. Meanwhile....I had decided to try out an SSD with my new build. I installed WIN10 but chose PRO instead of HOME so my activation would not work. I decided to go ahead and reinstall WIN10 HOME. Around 2 am the reinstall finished. All drivers updated. Back where I was before when it worked fine. Fired up XCOM 1 LW. Started mission, 10 minutes later....
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...BLUE SCREEN......CRASH.

I don't know what else to try except get rid of the card. The last thing I found to try was MSI Afterburner. I was told you can go in there and UNDERclock the card thus making it more stable. Others said RAISE some settings would fix it. I cannot seem to find a guide to UNDERCLOCK the RX580 and make it more stable (not crash). I have only tested it on XCOM 1 due to time limitations but that should not make a difference. I played XCOM with my Nvidia 2GB for over a year with never an issue, just lower graphics settings.

0 Likes
1 Solution

I have adjusted the graphic settings upwards since and no crashes yet. Fingers crossed!! Maybe my Wattman settings have worked.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
16 Replies