cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

gtomod
Journeyman III

Radeon RX 5700XT crashes when I exit Steam VR w/3 Monitors

I have all 4 slots in the back of my Radeon RX 5700XT populated. The HDMI port and two Display Ports run 3 external monitors (2x 1080p and 1x 4k). I have an HTC Vive Pro plugged into the last Display Port. I am able to have all 3 monitors on and connected displaying the Windows desktop and run Steam VR and any VR game without issue. The issue is when I exit/close Steam VR when the 3 monitors are enabled. The System will crash and the right half of all 3 monitors will turn black. I then have to manually turn the machine off and back on again. 

The issue does not occur when only 1 or 2 monitors of any combination are running, the system is able to exit Steam VR without issue.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800x

Radeon RX 5700XT

32GB of DDR4 3600MHz

850W Gold+ PSU

Radeon Software 20.1.3

12 Replies
frag85
Journeyman III

I have tried 3 different PSU's (Corsair RM550x, RM1000, 850TX), underclocking my system ram, underclocking my GPU. I have really only played Pavlov and Onward since updating drivers, but it happens more often than not when exiting SteamVR, sometimes when exiting Pavlov, and sometimes while actively playing Pavlov. It happens more after exiting the game and then exiting SteamVR. No dumps created.

Similar to OP.

3x1920x1080 + HTC Vive (HDMI)

3700x

5700xt

32GB DDR4 3800CL16 down to 3200 CL16 @ 1.4V.

550, 850 @ 1k PSUs

0 Likes

I was thinking maybe system ram, but after nearly 48 hours booted into memtest86 I do not think it is.

I'm leaning towards system configuration at this point. But what is causing the issue is still a complete mystery to me.

Sucks.How much time I have spent getting this card to work.

0 Likes
wwedeadman
Journeyman III

Same exact issue, if I close steam VR, the right side of all my monitors goes black, and then the GPU output shuts off completely, until hard reset. I am running a Valve Index headset on a Radeon RX 5700 XT. I don't have issues otherwise. This is really annoying though.

0 Likes
warriorsam
Journeyman III

I have the same problem.. Someone found a solution ? I spent so much time getting this card to work I'm really pissed off.

0 Likes
lcountach
Adept I

I have the exact same problem. More often than not, when I exit Steam VR my 3 screens go black on the right side and then the PC freezes. It requires a hard reset to get the PC functioning again.

I am having other Black Screen freezing and crashing problems too. Putting the PC to sleep and waking it in the morning has a 99% chance of the screens going black and freezing the PC. Also when playing Creed (VR Game). Multiple times the Vive has faded to Black with audio still playing. When I take off the headset and check the desktop. The three screens are black and the PC is unresponsive. Again... the only thing that fixes the freeze is a hard reset. Forcing a reset has actually corrupted my Steam VR install twice requiring a reinstall of Steam VR.

This is a serious problem! I bought the 5700 XT for better VR performance VS my old Nvidia 1060. I am really starting to regret it.

0 Likes
ryukrieger
Adept I

Yep, exact same problem here, it was crashing until I had the idea to test with different monitor combinations.

Any combination of 1 or 2 monitors is fine, as soon as I use all 3, it instantly crashes.

0 Likes

To add to this, I use an Oculus and this happens as soon as I close the Oculus App. I'm assuming this has to do with the native VR interface of any given headset.

0 Likes

Oh that's weird.. I have no problem closing the oculus app the problem is only with steam VR for me.. 

0 Likes
malabeans
Journeyman III

I'm having a similar issue but I'm unable to play any games from Steam in VR through Oculus without getting a black screen within minutes. Have to reboot get it to work. I've tried lots of driver versions and none of them make any difference. I popped my old 590 in after a DDU and that runs without issue. 5700xt works fine outside of VR though in the same games.

lcountach
Adept I

I just tried the February 28 driver 20.2.2 update that claims to solve many black screen issues. I chose the factory reset option and not to keep my settings. Still... Exiting Steam VR causes the right side of each of my three screens to turn black for a moment. However, instead of crashing shortly after. The screens partially recover. What I mean by "partially" is they come back on and the PC does not freeze. HOWEVER the screens start to flicker badly when a load is put on the graphics card. A restart is still required to stop the flickering. Something is still broken in these new drivers. Nice to see they tried to fix things. Unfortunately... they didn't fix things right. Please keep trying AMD. $400+ is a lot of money to waste.

EDIT: I also tried putting the PC to sleep last night. Same problem as before in my post above. The PC powers up but the screens stay black and the PC is unresponsive to anything. A hard reset is required to get things working again. I did not have this sleep problem with driver version 19.10.1. Going back to that driver also fixes the sleep issue. However it also brings back other black screen issues.

0 Likes

I can confirm this is also the same thing that happens to me with the new driver update, just with Oculus instead of SteamVR.

0 Likes
frag85
Journeyman III

The latest 20.3.1 (3/19/20) seem to have fixed it. I successfully quit steam VR 2/2 with 3 screens enabled in non-eyefinity mode. I'll post back if I get any crashes from this issue with the 20.3.1 drivers.

FIXED ISSUES: A system hang or black screen may occur when exiting SteamVR™ with multi display system configurations.

0 Likes