cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ricmel01
Adept I

Radeon rx 5700 xt and Mac mini issues. Mojave 10.14.6 , Razer Core x Chroma. Mini recognizes the Razer but not the card inside. Any ideas?

Brand new everything. 

Mac mini 2019 (September/19)

3.2GHz  Intel core i7

64GB 2667 DDR4

Mojave 10.14.6

Razer Core X Chroma

AMD Radeon rx 5700 xt (Red Devil)

ASUS VP28U (4K monitor)

The computer recognizes the Chroma but not the card inside.

Display Port show a blue (ish) screen

Display works fine with HDMI connected directly to the back of the mini

Chroma X lights up and fan spins

Radeon lights up, but no reaction or image on the display except the blueish screen.

When I turn the unit on it does show a little box on top left corner of the screen with "DISPLAY PORT"

than it disappears in 2 seconds or so and the screen turn dark.

0 Likes
6 Replies

You need to ask Apple Support that question.

Do you have the latest Razer Driver installed for your OS?

From the product's homepage:

Does your Mac Mini have eGFX or External Graphics Support?

EDIT: Read that the Mac Mini 2019 has Integrated Graphics. Could it be that the Integrated Graphics is the main Graphics Adapter being used thus no image from the eGPU enclosure?

Can you make the eGPU the main Graphics Adapter?

Connect the monitor to the Mac Mini and see if you get an image.

0 Likes

Found this Apple site on how to install a eGPU to a Mac using the latest Mojave OS: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/egpu-mac-3690094/ 

0 Likes
ricmel01
Adept I

Thank you for your efforts Elstaci, I have been reading every post, forum and anything else I can put my hands on. 
First there isn’t much available info on that subject from Apple, and what other people post is their personal struggles when I comes to drivers. From the Razer website and from AMD website all I can find is drivers for windows. Apple Support don’t have much to offer because is a third party product, therefore no help there. Regardless I do appreciate you taking the time to post a response. I will figure it out sooner or later. 

0 Likes

Mojave comes with its own integrated drivers built in the OS.

Most likely the RX5700X is not supported by Mojave OS.  According to what I have read the RX 5700X must be Metal-Capable to be recognized by Mojave.

Found this other Apple website that mentions that APPLE OS macOS Catalina 10.15.1 or later, is compatible with the RX5700X GPU Card inside a eGPU: Use an external graphics processor with your Mac - Apple Support

This Apple Forum mentions the same thing in that Catalina is compatible with the RX5700X but possibly Mojave could also be: Radeon RX 5700 support with external GPU - Apple Community 

Seems like you need to install MAC OS Catalina 10.15 to be able to use your RX5700X eGPU enclosure.

EDIT: I guess one way to prove if Mojave is the issue by not having any integrated Drivers for the RX5700x is by replacing the RX5700x with AMD Radeon RX 470, RX 480, RX 570, RX 580, and Radeon Pro WX 7100 GPU card and see if it is recognized.  If it is, that indicates that Mojave doesn't support the RX5700X yet.

0 Likes
ricmel01
Adept I

I did read that same post you mentioned Elstaci, and Casm101, it turn out that Mojave wasn’t ready for Radeon 5700,  just like Catalina wasn’t talking to the Radeon 580. Yesterday I moved on to Catalina and bam, everything is working like it should. And I don’t even have to activate the Razer X chroma every time I turn the computer on. Also I’m connected directly to the Razer X via Display Port. I do thank you  for the input and sending me on the right direction.

I still have some figuring out stuff to do but it’s pretty much OS dependent, like once the computer goes to sleep when I try to wake it up, it freezes. Not much of a problem as long as I don’t let it go sleep. Regardless, I’m happy I don’t have to return anything.
Thanks again guys. 

`Huh, I wonder why the RX580 wasn't recognized by Mojave.

Anyways,  glad to hear you got your Mac Mini working with the eGPU and RX5700.

As for the current problems you are having, try opening a thread at Phoronix Forums- https://www.phoronix.com/forums/ . That is a Linux Forum that specializes in AMD drivers and Linux OS in general.

0 Likes