cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

killom
Journeyman III

Re: Radeon R9 Fury - Card keeps overheating with stock settings

The Driver crashes only during Game play or anytime the GPU is stressed? Do you have any 3rd party OC software installed like MSI Afterburner, Asus Tweak II, or Trixx?

This is only happening to me, whilst playing games. I don't have any kind of OC Software installed. Just the plain Crimson driver. The card is powerful enough for every game I play - so for me there is no need to tweak it.

If Wattman's customize fan settings are set and working, your GPU doesn't crash anymore?

Correct.

Is there any way to modify the default settings instead? I mean, they have to be saved somewhere, or not? I'd rather modify the default settings, than have to reload a custom profile - which is suspect to being forgotten.

Black Zion mentioned about temperature. What temperature does your GPU show when it crashes?

It stays constant at around 80-85 °C when at 100% load. Way too high on the scale, if you ask me.

Is there any reason for it being so high, other than turning down the fan noise?

So the MAIN ISSUE is that WATTMAN doesn't stay with the Customized FAN SETTINGS after a reboot or restart for whatever reasons.

The main issue is, that Wattman reverts the Fan settings to default letting the Card overheat and crash.

I haven't really figured out, under which circumstances Wattman reverts to default - but a restart is (thankfully) not a cause.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

" stays constant at around 80-85 °C when at 100% load. Way too high on the scale, if you ask me.

Is there any reason for it being so high, other than turning down the fan noise?"

Found this about the Max Temp for R9 Fury:

RADEON R9 FURY X MAX TEMP

Model numberRadeon R9 Fury X
FamilyRadeon R9
Maximum operating temperature~90°C

But the best bet, as you mentioned, is to find out WHY Wattman doesn't maintain it configuration of the GPU card. I don't have Wattman so someone else is going to need to assist you in that area.

Maybe this previous thread might be helpful: Wattman settings go back to default on system boot

0 Likes
hybrid
Adept III

Did you try to replace the termal paste?

I personally use Arctic Silver 5

And is the card water cooled?

0 Likes
kingfish
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Please read these past posts and the solution.

RX 580 Temps under load running up to 85c, idle is at ~45c.

Wattman fan curve does not work

Power Limit > AMD graphics performance

Edit: If you have any third party controllers installed on your computer, Afterburner, Trixx, Asus, etc either delete them entirely and clean install your drivers again, or ignore the advice given in the posts. These programs can conflict with AMD/Wattman settings and cause the issues you mention.

plumboby
Miniboss

yes any 3rd party software will cause issues driver wise. Run the most upto date whql driver then go into wattman & manually adjust your fan settings & power settings. What other settings in global settings have been activated that you dont run or dont need might be a program or something activated keeping the temps up high. Another thing could be the card could be on its way out to why its pulling temps like that. I might suggest if you go a m8s PC you can test the card in with a few older drivers & try eleimante problems that way 1 by 1. Could be honest be a underlyning card fault appearing which maybe card starting to fail or maybe PSU or hardware related offset by software tapping it out. Try fire up you build on a m8s card if you can borrow 1 test it in another build vice versa till you can pin point it may be the best way to eliminate its a mongrel way of doing it but some times the only way to make sure.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

I have never used any 3rd party tweaker on my RX 580, and I can tell you for a fact that without a custom fan profile in Wattman, my card locks up every time I game no matter what the title. Many others with the RX 580's have said the same. I can't speak to all cards or any other variant as I have only used this one card. I would not be presumptuous enough to discount anyone else's advice either and tell people not to listen to them, even if I had personal experience with every card ever made on every machine configuration possible. Reading through the above I see plenty of good well intentioned advice.

I can't imagine why if a fan curve could make no difference why it would even be a feature then? I'm betting it wasn't an exercise in futility on AMD's part. I know this if my card goes over 70 it locks, and the default settings put it over 70, every time.

The OP was asking about custom settings returning to defaults and I explained how to use the profiles to rapid reload his previous settings, is that part of the blanket statement of advice the OP should not listen too?

I guess I will just agree to disagree and do what we should all do decide for myself what advice to try or not try. Many have good advice to offer and these are community forums. No one person has the best answer at all times, or any given time, every time. Just a bad form statement to tell people to ignore others.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

I believe what Kingfish meant by ignoring the advice of the other posts, was that if the OP decides to use a 3rd party software, than it is no use following the other Users advice concerning Wattman since they will continue to have problems as long as they have installed the 3rd party software.

Anyway, that was how I understood his comment.

By the way, I do agree with what you are saying. I just believe you misinterpreted the previous comment.

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

I understand Kingfish comment is the best as he is a driver team expert he knows his issues & problems when working on AMD drivers. Any 3rd party tool is only a tool & 9|10 a tool like MSI offers is really for mainly Nvidia cards mainly asd they offer no inhouse OC utility apart from 3rd party like MSI afterburner. Best tool its whats built into AMD software wattman is prety accurate & best OC tool i have ever used. The way MSI are going they are more geared towards Nvidia these days its why i gone away from the crapware tools. Any 3rd party tool will only do its intended purpose but will never do the proper job as AMD tool set carries. Its why I promote AMD driver set with AMD cards as the inhouse tuning is way superior than an OC tools I have used in the past & 3rd party tools ON AMD based cards upto date will still cause issues being upto date or not cause conflicts. The 3rd party tools are basicly a 3rd party manufactorers tool to OC Nvidia cards with no real intension of getting the safest & most best clock you can from the AMD tool. My advise & I keep saying it now only run whats intended for the brand your running if its from a 3rd party supplier manufacturer run AMD software with AMD cards wont run into issues & plenty of online guides to safely OC & tune you card setting in properly.

0 Likes
kingfish
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

That's exactly what I meant. As long as the poster understands, that's all that matters.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

I can certainly give a one time comment like that a benefit of the doubt. But most offering advice, I hope, are trying to help. To say ignore all other advice after a bad day just struck me bad. My apologies if I interpreted the intent incorrectly. After re-reading this again though, unless I just keep missing it did the OP ever even say they were using any 3rd party software. I see plenty suggesting not to if they are. All I I know is I tried to directly answer the OP's post. If I missed the intent in the rest of it all I am very sorry.

0 Likes