cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

lightning_guard
Journeyman III

Radeon r9 290x suddenly drops FPS after 5 months of high FPS. HELP!

So i received my AMD Radeon r9 290x video card during the Christmas of 2014 to replace my old HD 6950 series to get really high FPS on battlefield and such. After i got it i installed necessary drivers for the card and uninstalled drivers for the HD 6950 series graphics card. And man did that radeon r9 290x beat the FPS of the HD 6950 series while playing battlefield 4. I had this card for 5 months inserted into my computer running almost 120 or higher FPS on battlefield 4 ultra graphics and max everything. But last week or so i tried to play some good old Battlefield 4 and noticed that i couldn't shoot in those quick reflex moments because of visible FPS drops. So i got Fraps to see what the frames were and it was 30 FPS and fluctuating around there. I started to get worried and started to do Avast anti-virus scans (all of them) and malwarebytes scans and CCleaner scans to see if anything attacked my computer to potentially lower FPS on games. All result came back to be be clean as a whistle and no problems or PUP's. So i started to search online if any new drivers came out but the 14.12 was the most up to date one which i have. I also took out my video card to dust it off and insert it properly into my computer again and still to fix. I tried to lower settings in battlefield 4 to medium and increase of FPS to about 80. So i also tried to re-install the 14.12 Omega driver and battlefield 4 and to no prevail.So i resorted to the forums to find a solution i will list my system specs below:

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-core processor 3.50 GHz

(Water cooled)

RAM: 16 GB DDR3

64 bit operating system

Motherboard: SA99FX PRO R2.0

Power supply: 950Watt

Hard drive: SSD 500GB (every things on here) and 1 TB HDD

Case: AZZA CSAZ- XT1 B Black Japanese SECC Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Hopefully this will be enough for the specs and please replay i tried everything now i have to consult the pros. Thx for reading!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
lightning_guard
Journeyman III

Re: Radeon r9 290x suddenly drops FPS after 5 months of high FPS. HELP!

GUYS thx for viewing but just now i updated my bios version and no increase in FPS (think it made it lower lol)

0 Kudos
gentrycl
Journeyman III

ok so do this for me run furmark and use gpuz with logging enabled on until it reaches the recommended 95c or for that card idk the max until either it shuts down because the gpuz log will still be saved if it doesnt shut down for about 5-7 minutes stop it and upload the log. from there more people will be able to help you including myself.

0 Kudos
Hardwood
Paragon

If you still have one, do a system restore. There may have been some update messing with your HW.

0 Kudos
lightning_guard
Journeyman III

Hardwood thx for the replay. Should i uninstall updates that were given to me by windows update manually because that sounds a bit easier and I also cleaned out my computer after I setup a restore point so all the files that i deleted will be back and start to slow down my PC. Just want your replay on this just to be sure not to mess some things up. THX for replaying didn't know if anyone would.

0 Kudos
lightning_guard
Journeyman III

hello again. I just received the Spring patch for Battlefield 4 and good news and bad news. Which one you want to heir first? The bad news is when I'm on the ground i still get around 50 through 70 FPS(without v-sync to put frames at 60 max), which before never happened in test range i usually got soaring 160 FPS..... The Good news is when I'm in a Jet the FPS fluctuates between 120 FPS which is GREAT and i loved it until i had to eject then the bad news came into play. Not to brag, but when my video card was all new it went around 180 FPS so i guess the patch fixed some stuff but i don't know. Just an update everyone, nothing huge.

0 Kudos
Hardwood
Paragon

lightning_guard wrote:

all the files that i deleted will be back and start to slow down my PC.

I wouldn't worry about that. And no, don't mess with window's updates at all for now. There was one that caused issues but it was on the old forum and I'm not sure which one it was or what it did.

Did you google BF4 slow down as it might be a game issue too?

0 Kudos