Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

trente4mtp
Journeyman III

Radeon R9 200 GPU temperature 87ºC

Hi,

I have a XPS 8700 with i7-4790, 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 200 Series and latest BIOS.

Since the 1st time when I play to FIFA 15 the GPU Fans start to do a lot of noise due that are spinning to high RPM. Today I realized that is doing more noise and checked the AMD utility and the GPU have 87ºC and fan is spinning to 81%.

I downloaded the software OpenHardware Monitor and CPU have 57ºC, FAN 2, 910 RPM, FAN 3 863 RPM and GPU Fan 4049RPM, GPU Core 925 MHz, GPU Memory 1400 MHz.

I think that something is not working properly, Is not necessary start to play to have this behaviour, I leave the game in the menus to select a team, not playing and still the same RPM...

Where could be the problem?

I have DIRECTX11

amd.png

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
practikill
Elite

Re: Radeon R9 200 GPU temperature 87ºC

These stats are from under load?

From what I've seen, those are the somewhat normal temps for those cards. They run hot.

You could look into a custom cooling option.

0 Kudos
Cornugon
Miniboss

Don't worry, by default the card heats up to 95 degrees Celsius (you can change this temperature behaviour within CCC's Overdrive tab). You might want to check your system's airflow though, because it seems a bit inadequate.

0 Kudos
gentrycl
Journeyman III

i would like to know what the second poster said its it running at 100% utilization if so how long was it ran for because the pic reads that its at 44% if is under 100% load you should be fine

0 Kudos
kingfish
MVP

R9 200 series tells us nothing. Do you have a R9 285? 290? 290x? 270?

0 Kudos
cerealkeller
Journeyman III

Iff that's not under 100% load then you have problems.  If it is under load then temps that high are high, but not unusual.  Improving air flow in your case could improve your temps.  Creating a more aggressive fan profile might help, getting the fan to spin up sooner might keep temps lower.  But the best way to deal with that is to take your card apart and replace the thermal paste with a quality paste.  I use Prolimatech PK-3.  I've seen it drop temps by 10c from factory paste.  It should get you at least 5C improvement.  Thermal paste is cheap, I don't understand why the factories apply such low quality paste.  Well, I do.  But it's idiotic.  Lower temps = fewer cards for RMA = less money for warranty replacements.

0 Kudos
sgtbilko
Miniboss

Judging by the clock speeds i'd say it's an R9 270 myself.

0 Kudos