cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

m0reilly
Adept II

Re: RADEON PRO WX 7100 at 10bpc & BENQ SW271

I was previously using the pro only or 'enterprise'. I think you are trying to discount the obvious. I use the pro drivers on the Frontier but downloaded the present driver from the pro downloads section to see if it would also return a 10bit positive, which it did. the present release of pro/non pro does not. You are not paying attention to the locus. I am very pleased with the Frontier. So you are saying that I must own a 7100 to have a valid point?

0 Likes
hidef
Journeyman III

I have the BenQ SW271 but running on an AMD Vega 56 - had the same issues, not able to display 10-bit at Full RGB, only 8-bit.  I decided to drop the refresh rate down to 30 hz and I am now able to select 8-bit, 10-bit, and 12-bit Color Depths at Full RGB.  However, when selecting the HDR option on the monitor itself, it still says HDR Emulated.  I am currently connected through HDMI 2.0.  Have not tested DP as I do not have the required DP to DP cable to connect to the GPU, only DP to Mini-DP that was provided with the monitor.

I'm not sure if this would be a fix though as I would rather display the full 60 hz refresh rate...

0 Likes
fsadough
Staff
Staff

The fact that you see "10bit pixel format" again in Advanced Radeon Pro Settings has nothing to do with your Video BIOS. This bug was fixed in our latest 19.Q1.1 driver.

10bpc (bits per color) and 10bpp (bit per pixel) are different. The bpc represents the “Color Depth” and has nothing to do with 10bit Pixel Format (bpp = your screenshot) which is required by some applications like Adobe Photoshop, when a 10bit monitor is connected.

fsadough
Staff
Staff

No, you misunderstood. I said you have a Vega FE and I cannot verify. I never said you have to own a WX7100. Please see the topic of this thread. However see my comment here:
https://community.amd.com/message/2902997?commentID=2902997#comment-2902997 

0 Likes
lmancino
Adept III

OK, I downloaded the updated BIOS and this evening I will install.

Wich test can I do? You are able to obtain, with EDID of my monitor, 60hz and 10bpc forcing 5,4 Gb in the bitrate, but when I set 60hz, without obtaining 10bpc, i just have the band at 5,4Gb, so how can I use your trick to reach 60hz and 10bpc?

0 Likes
fsadough
Staff
Staff

Actually there is no trick. With some monitors (BenQ SW271) it worked. We gotta wait for these results:

1. Why it worked with 18.Q1.1 driver and not with 19.Q1.1 (currently being investigated)

2. Feedback from BenQ

lmancino
Adept III

So isn't there a specific problem of my SW271 ?

I understand that it has not a fault in its hardaware and suffers the some problem of other monitor Benq you are investigating.

English is not my language and sometimes i lost some shades in conversations

0 Likes
fsadough
Staff
Staff

No worries.

1. First problem is why BenQ SW271 jumps to 59Hz when RGB4:4:4 and 10bpc is selected.

2. Second problem is why AMD drivers behave differently.

We are investigating.

fsadough
Staff
Staff

Fixed in 19.Q2 driver available on May 8th.

Root cause:

Whenever a monitor has a CEA extension block with a CEA SVD for 3840x2160@60Hz the current and some previous drivers (except 18.Q1.1 and older) use 594MHz pixel clock and for that we do not have enough bandwidth to do 10bpc, that's why the color depth jumps back to 8bpc. Obviously the monitors without the above mentioned CEA extension block did not have any issues reporting 10bpc/RGB444/4K@60Hz

CEA extension block with a CEA SVD is mostly used for digital TVs & HDMI connections

Interim Workaround:

Emulate the EDID of your monitor with a Bit Rate of 8.1 GHz, that might work for some monitors. If you need assistance with that, PM me.

Exception:

BenQ EW3270 still reports 594MHz, which seems to be a monitor issue (still under investigation). However changing the Bit Rate to 8.1GHz (HBR3) resolves the issue.

m0reilly
Adept II

After setting to 8.1 I can no longer enter the OS (BenQ sw320). Even with safe mode there is no video output when the OS has loaded (Server 2019). I would not recommend that others try the 8.1 option at this time (re the sw BenQ monitors) and instead wait for the new driver release.