cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

JoniSt
Adept I

Radeon Pro W6800 system compatibility (Linux / amdgpu)

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'd like to upgrade my workstation's GPU to a Radeon Pro W6800 but I haven't been able to find any official compatibility information for this card. The most I could find was that it's "supported on Linux" and that there's an entry for the card in the source code of the amdgpu driver.

Thus my question: Does the open-source AMD Linux driver stack support the Radeon Pro W6800? I know that I'll most likely need bleeding-edge software but I'm not afraid to compile the required packages myself.

System specifications:

CPU: Intel Xeon W-3265
Mainboard: Supermicro X11SPA-T
Chassis: Supermicro SC743TQ-1200B-SQ
Kernel: Linux 5.13.12
Graphics driver: Mesa 21.2.1, DRM 3.41.0, LLVM 12.0.1
OpenCL driver: AMD ROCm 4.3.0 (OpenCL-only installation, without HIP)

If you need any more info, let me know.

Thanks!
Jonathan

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fsadough

Re: Radeon Pro W6800 system compatibility (Linux / amdgpu)

Jump to solution

I am running W6800 on Ubuntu 20.04.2 (latest kernel) with no issues

View solution in original post

5 Replies
fsadough

Jump to solution

Not sure, what exactly you are looking for. We do offer Linux drivers for W6800 on:
https://www.amd.com/de/support/professional-graphics/amd-radeon-pro/amd-radeon-pro-w6000-series/amd-...

But if you are looking for W6800 ROCm support, then this will be supported in ROCm version 4.5 (to be released in October)

0 Likes
JoniSt
Adept I

Jump to solution

Thanks for the super quick reply! ROCm / OpenCL isn't that important for me right now, I can live without it for a few weeks / months.

The most important thing for me is OpenGL and Vulkan support via the open-source (Mesa radeonsi) drivers. Does the W6800 work with upstream amdgpu + Mesa at the moment? Or will it only work via the drivers that you linked?

0 Likes
fsadough

Jump to solution

Yes, using the latest kernel, it should. Which Linux distro?

0 Likes
JoniSt
Adept I

Jump to solution

Debian 11 (Bullseye), although I've manually compiled the latest upstream kernel (5.13.12), as well as the latest development version of Mesa (21.2.1), given that Debian isn't really known for always shipping the latest versions of their software. (I know that I'll most likely also need the latest firmware blobs for the W6800, which shouldn't be a problem either.)

Also, sorry if I'm a little slow, the forum's flooding protection forces me to wait with posting.

0 Likes
fsadough

Jump to solution

I am running W6800 on Ubuntu 20.04.2 (latest kernel) with no issues

View solution in original post