cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Aero1009
Adept I

Radeon GPU Fans Stop Spinning While Gaming

I've been encountering a problem where my GPU fans stop spinning while in the middle of gaming. This just started happening and I have no answers for it. When they stop spinning my screen goes black and I have to restart my PC. It is getting quite annoying.

8 Replies
vialli100
Forerunner

First for any help, you need to give your full PC specs, including PSU..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

Radeon RX 5600 XT, Ryzen 5 3600, 32 GBs of Ram, 600W PSU 80 Plus Gold Cert

0 Likes
Axton
Challenger

What GPU is it?

Do you use any kind of custom fan control, either another program or from within the Adrenalin driver?

Have you made any tweaks to the Adrenalin driver options at all?

The reason I ask is that when I first installed my new 6950XT in May this year and did a "minimal" installation (because I like minimal software) I noticed that the built-in fan control that AMD programmed barely increased fan speed at all, and when it did the GPU was already very warm. On top of that, the fans will 'stall' at 17% as can be seen in my data collection in this thread below.

See my thread on it here https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-6950xt-temperature-behavior/m-p/526970

Bottom line is the default fan curve in the bios is far too aggressive for noise control for my comfort so I am forced to do a full driver install option and set a manual curve in the "performance" and "tuning" pages of the driver (see thread).  This causes other issues with AMD and the built in audio driver that we currently cannot prevent from being installed.  I'm hoping I have solved this also.  So I'm wondering if your system simply got too hot and shuts down.  You can run GPU-z in the background and it will track CPU and GPU temperatures and log if you want.

0 Likes

@Nikhil128 Whats that got to do with this persons problem?
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes
Aero1009
Adept I

My temps are completely normal and my GPU isn’t being over worked. Sometimes it doesn’t spin when I start up my PC causing the screen to just stay black and give me no display.

0 Likes
Aero1009
Adept I

This all took place shortly after cleaning my case with an Air Duster.

0 Likes

Have you removed the card and checked the pcie slot, could be a little bit of dust in there..

Check the card connector too..

Also try another slot and check the power connectors are pushed home..

0 Likes

I’ll try that shortly. Thank you for the help!

0 Likes