Radeon drivers keep detecting an old Monitor

Stuff you should know about my computer (Desktop):

- AMD Ryzen 5 1500X

- MSI B350M Gaming Pro

- Kingston 2400Mhz 1x8GB

- MSI Radeon RX550 Aero ITX 2GB

- Windows 10 64Bit

- AMD Driver Adrenalin 18.2.1

And I have 2 monitors, and older one that i won't be using, and a new one that i just bought:

(OLD): LG W1942, Max.Res 1440x900 (16:10), VGA/D-Sub Only
(NEW): LG 19M38A, Max.Res 1336x768 (16:9), VGA/D-Sub Only

And the RX550 only has HDMI, DVI and DisplayPort, so i'm utilizing an adapter for HDMI to VGA.

(I have a few days to return the old monitor because a friend lend it to me and needs it back).

Here's the problem:

Radeon drivers, or maybe Windows, detects the new monitor as the old one, and goes as far as showing it and forcing the 16:10 aspect ratio on the new 16:9 monitor.

But that's if the new one even can show image, because most of the time it won't.

Most of the time the new monitor says: "D-SUB, Signal Out of Range, 67.4kHz / 60Hz".

I was able to make the new monitor work by completly uninstalling the Radeon Drivers, which makes me think that this new monitor has no failures.

If i reinstall any version of the drivers, it will come back the "out of range" message, as i'm installing it.

A few times it was able to keep showing image after the installation, just to show me that it was detecting the old monitor, and when i proceeded to restart my pc, it just when back to "Out of range" again.

BTW When i check with the old monitor, the only frequency option is 64Hz and it works perfectly. If i check without drivers, it shows 60Hz and 75Hz.

I tried unnistalling drivers, and reinstalling different versions, also LG drivers, going to safemode and changing to different resolutions. Nothing worked.

Sin título.png20180424_022954.jpg

0 Likes
1 Reply

In "Device Manager" under "Monitors" does it still show the old Monitor? If it does, under "Properties" uninstall it (be sure to click "uninstall from disk"). Also if you don't see the old Monitor, In Device Manager under "View" click on "Reveal Hidden Devices" and see if your old monitor is there. If it is uninstall it.

Since both are LG monitors, Windows may still be seeing the old LG driver installed on the computer.

Under Windows Settings - Display, can you change the display to something below your new monitor resolution?  Also on the same Settings as Display at the bottom click on "Display Adapter Properties" under "Monitor" be sure your HZ is correct for the new monitor.

What type of HDMI-D-SUB adapter are you using? the best and most compatible adapters are the "Active" type rather than the "Passive" type unless you are using a HDMI-VGA cable.