cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Ronivan
Journeyman III

Radeon Driver Timeout

This issue happens while I use Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 for my work. I used to have a Nvidia board but after it broke I decided to try a Radeon Graphic Board, and I must say so far its a really bad experience.

• Windows 10 fully updated and checked
  • Intel i7 proccessor
  • 64gb of RAM DDR4
  • Power Source is 850w Real
  • Radeon RX 550 last drive update checked

While using Adobe `Photoshop CC 2019 I began to have black screen, followed by a message saying the driver has timed out. Photoshop crashes and is forced to close, making no save in the process. Yes I lost hours of work because of this, because this crash is totally random. It may happen 5 minutes or 50 minutes of use, but always happen while using Adobe Photoshop and never with any other application. 

• I followed the instructions and sent back a report to AMD with the information, but so far no answer came from it. Meanwhile I have to work and I need to use Photoshop for this. 
  • Tried to use several old drivers.
  • Tried an in-depth configuration of Adobe Photoshop with support from Adobe itself.
  • Tried several overall driver verification in the pc with no issues found.
  • Tried windows tools to find problems with the OS with no issues found.

So I came finally here to try to find a solution for my problem with Radeon Graphic Board so I can return to my work. I never experienced any graphic driver issues before in my work, so this is very upsetting.

7 Replies
kikogodeca
Journeyman III

OMG, Ive been having the same crash. I have a RX6800XT and almost everyday I use Photoshop, latest version and constantly have black screen timeouts on a random timing. Sometimes it happens right when I open Photoshopm other times I use it for hours and its ok. I have no idea. SOmetimes it even hapens only with Chrome and Discord and Steam open. Im not sure if it has some problem with programs using hardware acceleration or something. But Photoshop REALLY triggers that driver, almost every day I have at least one black screen. I tried all kinds of things - lowering the refresh rate of my monitor, using enhanced sync in the driver (which actually fixed things for a bit, but started having it more often again, rescently). Reinstalling Windows, reinstalling the driver but nothing helps. AMD, please do something about this, what is casuing this issue, ive been having this for almost a year now.
The only solution I found that fixes things a little bit is to use the last Recommended driver from this year, the one from April or May. Its way less with that driver. But everytime I install some new Optional one, timeouts like crazy.

0 Likes

Did you try another Power supply? Try different HDMI or DP Cable?

MOBO :EVGA X299 DARK 151-SX-E299-KR CPU : Intel Core i9-10900X Skylake-X 10-Core 3.7 GHz LCR :Corsair Hydro Series H80i V2 GPU :SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 6900 XT SE MEMORY: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum SE Torque 32GB (4 x 8GB) CMD32GX4M4C3200C14T SSD 01: SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 1 TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 MZ-V7P512BW SSD 02: SAMSUNG 860 PRO 256GBX2 Raid 0 PSU : Corsair AX1200I 1200 Watts CASE :Thermaltake (Armor+) VH6000SWA SC :Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 5.1 Channels Monitor Acer XR382CQK IPS 3840x1600 @ 75HZ BD Samsung SH-B123L
Volkdude85
Challenger

I have a suggestions 

use recommended in "Preferred software Version" in Adrenaline suite.

Toggle some of the advanced features in the AMD suite if that doesn't work. 

I don't remember the toggle 

I wanna say it was Radeon boost but that doesn't feel right was causing some issues.

0 Likes
kikogodeca
Journeyman III

I tried with two DP cables, one 1.2 and other 1.4 one and its the same. I was thinking that maybe my monitors is not pairing ok with my card, because its an older 2015 model ROG SWIFT PG279Q with only G-Sync hardware chip. Other than that, my powersuply is Corsair RM850 Gold, I dont think it can be a problem. I dunno

0 Likes
jpicklyk
Adept I

For what its worth, I'm seeing the same driver timeout problems with the 7900x iGPU on Windows 11 22H2.  Super annoying.  I also have an older monitor and am using HDMI 1.2.  I doubt this has anything to do with your hardware and seems to me like a driver incompatibility with Windows or a Windows setting.

Can you try another Graphics Card or reflash the BIOS of the GPU make sure back up original BIOS and flash to the same version!! Try anothe Pci-E Slot and perhaps another PSU.

MOBO :EVGA X299 DARK 151-SX-E299-KR CPU : Intel Core i9-10900X Skylake-X 10-Core 3.7 GHz LCR :Corsair Hydro Series H80i V2 GPU :SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 6900 XT SE MEMORY: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum SE Torque 32GB (4 x 8GB) CMD32GX4M4C3200C14T SSD 01: SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 1 TB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 MZ-V7P512BW SSD 02: SAMSUNG 860 PRO 256GBX2 Raid 0 PSU : Corsair AX1200I 1200 Watts CASE :Thermaltake (Armor+) VH6000SWA SC :Creative Sound Blaster AE-9 5.1 Channels Monitor Acer XR382CQK IPS 3840x1600 @ 75HZ BD Samsung SH-B123L
0 Likes

I formatted the computer and installed win 11 21H2 which seemed ti resolve the problem. I also since have purchased a rx 6950xt which hasn't had any driver issues thus far.

0 Likes