Radeon Custom Resolution

CPU : AMD Athlon x4 860k

GPU : AMD RX460 Nitro 4GB (Saphire)

RAM : HYPERX 8GB

PSU : EVGA 600W

MOBO : GIGABYTE F2A68HM-HD2

SSD : Kingston 120gb (Local Disc (C:))

HDD : WD Blue 1tb (Hard Drive (D:))

I was trying to have a custom resolution for my desktop by using radeon settings. There is a thing called custom resolution so I made it 1440x1080 (I have a 1920x1080 monitor) and I clicked save and my screen flashed and nothing happened. I then tried to play a game like Rust with a 1440x1080 resolution so I would have no black bars but It didn't work. Any solutions?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jargon
Elite
Elite

Re: Radeon Custom Resolution

Can you provide the steps that you took in order to set the custom resolution?

0 Kudos
gigs
Adept I
Adept I

I went to Radeon settings and clicked on display. I then made a custom resolution. I made a 1440x1080 resolution. When I clicked save it made the screen flicker black but my screen was still 1920x1080.

0 Kudos
jargon
Elite
Elite

Ok I'd first like to warn you that custom resolutions are not as simple as setting a random resolution then pressing Ok. There are a lot of resolutions standardized under the VESA standard, but setting these manually may require you to follow a full table of timing settings. To make it easier, some of the resolutions are supported by a Timing Standard (e.g. CVT, DMT), so once you set the resolution, you simply set the Timing Standard that you want, which then defines all the specific timing values required for that resolution. You can easily find the official VESA document detailing this using Google.

The second warning is that even if you do have the custom timings entered correctly, that does not mean that your display can support that resolution.

Once you actually have your custom resolution set and saved, you need to go into your Windows Display Settings to verify that the custom resolution appears as an option. If so, then it should also be available in-game.

goodplay
Esteemed Contributor III

After custom settings, did you also change resolution in game (does it work on desktop if you change windows display settings).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT,
0 Kudos