cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

theslurry
Journeyman III

Radeon 7 Fan speeds

So i recently updated my computer to 2700x with radeon 7. When im playing games the GPU fan never seems to speed up even when my temps get up to 80c. The fan does move from 900rpm to 940rpm. is this normal? i have even tried the fan curve up to 100% with no change. I do not have any other programs that control speeds. and it is a fresh install of windows. 

0 Likes
7 Replies
harbi
Adept III

Same system, Ryzen 2700x + Radeon Vii. Asus ROG Crosshair Vii hero motherboard. No issues.

i have even tried the fan curve up to 100% with no change.

Adjust the first dot, the lowest one. If nothing changes, yeah, not normal.

What driver are you using? and did you clean install the driver?

When im playing games the GPU fan never seems to speed up even when my temps get up to 80c

Are you using a manual fan curve? it has issues at the moment, but if you are using auto fan curve, then yes, it's not normal. Plus, are you referring to normal Edge Temp? or Junction Temp?

theslurry
Journeyman III

I have adjusted the dot with no luck.

I have tried MSI afterburner with no luck.

I have reinstalled drivers.

This is a clean installed windows with clean install of all drivers. Im currently at 19.3.1 for drivers. 

I have tried manual and auto stays at 900 ish rpm. Junction got up to 98c and edge peaked over 80 yesterday

0 Likes

theslurry wrote:

I have adjusted the dot with no luck.

Im currently at 19.3.1 for drivers. 

Capture1.PNG

^ Like this? Manual fan curve? the first dot set to 30c Junction Temp, so it triggers the requested fan speed.

If you did that and the rpm is still not moving, then something is definitely wrong. 

One last thing to test, I didn't update to the latest driver, 19.3.1.

I'm still using the one before it, 19.2.3. I suggest testing it to know for certain if its a driver issue or not.

theslurry
Journeyman III

I have tried older drivers. And yes even at 100% the fan stays at 900 ish. I updated bios on both gpu and mobo. I'm running out of options. The fan does spin so is it card issue or known amd bug? 

0 Likes

theslurry wrote:

I'm running out of options. The fan does spin so is it card issue or known amd bug? 

I've been following Radeon Vii posts since it's launch here and on reddit. This is the first time I've heard about this specific issue to be honest. Was the card working without issues out of the box when you got it?

If you have another system, install the Radeon Vii there. If the problem persist, then it *might* be a card issue.

Granted, I'm no total expert. Just a process of elimination to see if it's not a system issue.

theslurry wrote:

I updated bios on both gpu and mobo

Did you need to update the bios on the gpu? I didn't.

aygabtu
Journeyman III

Set fan to manual and jumping the speed up to a much larger percentage like 90%.  I've had that issue occasionally and a large move or reloading a saved profile can get the fan kick started properly.

I'm curious which version it is, because the powercolor seems to be the one giving me the most issue with fan speed, and I own 4 cards with various manufacturers.

0 Likes
theslurry
Journeyman III

The card is brand new and i dont think the fans worked from the start. I dont think my old system can handle this big of card. I only updated bios because it was one of my last options to try to fix this issue. 

I have tried to moving the fan curve large and small amounts with no luck.

0 Likes