Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

krwawisz
Journeyman III

RADEON 6800XT black screen :-(

Hi Guys

I am having a problem with my new setup. Have been using Ryzen 7 3700x paired with GTX 1080 for over an year with no problems. Now I bought new R6800XT and here problems started. In general during heavy load (gaming) 3d Mark (espeially Time SPy CPU test) my computer crashes into black screen and there is no other way to restart than turning off a power supply. Temperatures look ok - no OC beside standard boost CPU profile and XMP set with two clicks in bios. Any Ideas?

My computer: 

MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX

Ryzen 7 3700X - boost on 4200Mhz (cooler Silentium PC Fortis 3) 

Radeon 6800XT (Sapphire)

Patriot Viper Blackout 16GB 3600Mhz

SilentiumPC Supremo FM2 GOLD 750W

all drivers up to date

27 Replies
timber77
Journeyman III

nda. Replace the video probably. Not what it is. Here I look at many similar problems. Bad start. And the card is so for itself. I read and I don't like it at all already.

0 Likes
Abracadabra
Adept I

I received my 6800XT today upgrading from a  NVIDIA 1080TI and encountered the same issue running ARK survival maxed out for about 5-10 minutes into the game the PC will shut off and can only be restarted turning of the power supply. I wonder what the issue is? Temperatures, power supply or drivers? Testing with FurMark right now for about 30 minutes stable. With Ark however I can crash my PC in about 10 minutes every time. My previous 1080TI OC had none such issues. Any ideas?

My PC:

CPU Intel 8700k

Board Asrock Xtreme 4 Z370

GPU Radeon 6800XT Ref

Memory 32 GB DDR Corsair Vengeance

Power BeQuiet Straight Power 700w

0 Likes

...and yes, I got the latest Adrenalin Drivers running (20.11.2.).

Seems like this guy got similar issues with his 5700XT, so it might be driver issues after all?

https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/gigabyte-aorus-rx-5700-xt-black-screen-crash/m-p/424919#M67890

By any chance are you guys also running Windows 10 20H2?

It's just that I started having the same black screen hanging issue with my Powercolor Rx5700XT Red Devil after updating from Windows 10 2004, and I've had the card since September 2019 and it's been flawless.

I'm just in the process of reinstalling Windows 10 2004 to see if it's resolved, otherwise I'm looking at an RMA.

0 Likes

dfwood, do you use MSI afterburner? I have the liquid devil 5700XTX, same issues as yourself but with occasional flickering too, same version of windows and think it is the cause also. I was doing some load testing. I also have a Fury in my system, when that was the display output, zero flickers/blackscreens. Under same load, I switched back to 5700XTX instant flicker every second or so, which stopped the moment I closed Afterburner. I've yet to do a longer test to see if this solves my issue, but do you use Afterburner?

I also had random reinsertions of the HDMI audio device during my blackscreens, constant new device noise in Windows, checked setupapi.dev.log and found it was the HDMI interface, I've disabled mine for now as I don't use it. Could be multiGPU bug w my setup though. Have you tried this? Do you get Windows new device sounds during your blackscreen occasionally?

0 Likes

So I continued my testing and it seems I have found a temporary solution for the 6800XT PC crash issue. I completely deinstalled all AMD software (Adrenaline) using the cleanup tool. Then I manually installed the driver via Windows hardware manager and choosing the amd driver folder. I did not install the Adrenaline software suite. So far games are running stable with maxed out settings now. Will give an update whether this keeps up for the next days. If Adrenaline is actually the issue here I kinda wonder why we don't here more ppl complaining. Maybe it is only a select constellation of hardware/software or a bad 6800XT sample on my end because I see temps going up pretty high in GPU-Z without any overclocking of my card and I have a decently cooled tower here. Lets see...

Nope, no other GPU utilities are installed. I've literally have done clean Windows 10 installs, put the chipset and graphics drivers on, installed Red Dead Redemption 2 and tested.

Within about 10 - 15minutes the screen goes black and the system reboots.

@Abracadabra wrote:

I received my 6800XT today upgrading from a  NVIDIA 1080TI and encountered the same issue running ARK survival maxed out for about 5-10 minutes into the game the PC will shut off and can only be restarted turning of the power supply. I wonder what the issue is? Temperatures, power supply or drivers? Testing with FurMark right now for about 30 minutes stable. With Ark however I can crash my PC in about 10 minutes every time. My previous 1080TI OC had none such issues. Any ideas?

My PC:

CPU Intel 8700k

Board Asrock Xtreme 4 Z370

GPU Radeon 6800XT Ref

Memory 32 GB DDR Corsair Vengeance

Power BeQuiet Straight Power 700w

Unfortunately you are definitely under powered as there are no 6800xt models that don't have a minimum of a 750 watt power supply requirement. 

0 Likes

I wanna back up your current problems. I am using Gigabyte rx6800xt using my corsair 750 watts psu and I dont have blackscreen nor shutting down problems with this gpu. However I have problems rendering the graphics on games. The first hour I play its ok all fine then the game crash and send me a report window, I fill it up and send to amd, still no email reply. Right now I have problems with rendom flickering lines all over the screen when I play. When I alt tab on windows its all okay, I can watch video, surf with no problem. All of my games with shadow rendering have flickering random lines. As of now the only solution I did is disable or lower down the shadow quality of the game to lessen the graphics problem. I think this is more of a driver issue on rx6800xt. I even reformat my system, install fresh windows and fresh amd drivers still got the graphics problem, I got normal temp and try not to OC it. No solution yet.

@BloodlettinG wrote:

I wanna back up your current problems. I am using Gigabyte rx6800xt using my corsair 750 watts psu and I dont have blackscreen nor shutting down problems with this gpu. However I have problems rendering the graphics on games. The first hour I play its ok all fine then the game crash and send me a report window, I fill it up and send to amd, still no email reply. Right now I have problems with rendom flickering lines all over the screen when I play. When I alt tab on windows its all okay, I can watch video, surf with no problem. All of my games with shadow rendering have flickering random lines. As of now the only solution I did is disable or lower down the shadow quality of the game to lessen the graphics problem. I think this is more of a driver issue on rx6800xt. I even reformat my system, install fresh windows and fresh amd drivers still got the graphics problem, I got normal temp and try not to OC it. No solution yet.

Since your issue is much different than the OPs or the other responders you might want to start your own thread so your issues get more attention and it will be easier for others that may have the same problem to find an open thread on the topic. 

Sounds like you tried to contact AMD, FYI if you used the Bug Report in Radeon Settings they will not get back to you. That is one way reporting only. 

For two way support you go here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Reporting a expected bug is not a bad idea to make sure you do both.

0 Likes

It looks like blackscreening and audio buzz and PC reboot is back with Adrenalin 2020 20.11.2 driver. 
I have had 2 of these recently on RX5700XT GPU after a long time with no problems.
I am running on Windows 10 Pro 2004 with latest patch updates.
PC system checks are all o.k. 
Karhu RamTest passes in Windows with GPU running at 2000% coverage before I stopped the test. 

0 Likes

I have been having this issue for over a year now with the Vega 56 and a EVGA 850 GQ, 80+ GOLD and have been given the same runaround about the PSU not supplying enough power for these power spikes.  I've RMA'd and tried all the 'fixes' with two different cards.  There's no reason for even that card to be spiking enough power to pop with a PSU like this, but here we are.  The running theory is that the PSU can't supply power quickly enough to deal with the spike, which is pretty ridiculous for a 850W PSU at 71A on the 12V.  I've been running back and forth on what to get this generation, but if this problem still exists with the current generation of cards (I've seen reports with the 5000 series as well), I feel like the choice has been made for me.  Do you need to test PSU's and slap an AMD sticker on them so people don't run into this issue?  It's a little difficult want to buy a $700 piece of equipment when you don't trust it to work without blowing another $150 on a new PSU that someone has tested to work.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Gigabyte x570 Pro Wifi

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB

MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 Air Boost 8GB OC

EVGA 850 GQ, 80+ GOLD

I am not sure if AMD monitor total GPU power input on the RX6000 series by adding current sensors on all power input lines? 
Nvida GPUs do that. 
AMD do not do that on RX5700XT and earlier as far as I know. 
They just measure "GPU Die" input power. 
I am waiting for Buildzoid PCB analysis of the RX6000 series PCB to find out. 

0 Likes

The Red Devil Buildzoid review went up just now, actually.

Thanks I will watch it now. 

0 Likes

Some interesting and potentially good news for the PowerColor Red Devil RX6800XT. 
It is using TDA21472 smart power stages which incorporate accurate current monitoring. 

https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/power/dc-dc-converters/integrated-power-stages/tda21472/ 

Need to find out if those are also used on the RX6800XT Reference cards. 

Here is an update regrding the Smart Power Stages on the RX6800/XT reference boards. 
Made By AMD (MBA). 

The MBA boards do use IR TDA21472 ICs which allow current monitoring, 

ASUS is also using the same IR 35217 as a PWM controller, Infineon XDPE132G5D as a VRM controller and IR TDA21472 as power stages for the TUF and ROG models.

Still need confirmation that they are actually being used in closed loop hardware and/or software control to limit total board input power.  

Also need to find out if the Radeon Performance Overlay on the RX6800/XT reports GPU power or if it now (or also) reports Total Board Input Power.

We have a pretty identical setup, but I only have 700w PSU.

My computer does this after about 3 minutes of playing PUBG on full settings 4k 120fps.

Here's my fix for the issue: undervolt the card. You can literally just use the undervolt setting in the Adrenalin tuning section. No real performance hit and the power draw drops enough that it hasn't crashed since.

0 Likes

https://youtu.be/E7t98_RR_d0

watch this video you can simply install only graphic driver rather than the whole drivers with junk amd softwares. Should solve ur problem if you are not using VR. 

0 Likes

Hi,

I believe some of those system crashes are not just PSU issues.

I bought Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6800XT. Since Sapphire recommends min.850W PSU, I took 1100W PSU just to avoid on the edge PSU capabilities for peak moments.

1100W PSU did not help and PC freezes every 5 to 30 min.in any game. GPU was not not OC, no rage mode..

system:

Before change of GPU and PSU:

INTEL CORE i9-9900K 3.60GHz 16MB 8C | 16T
NZXT Kraken X62 RGB
Sapphire Nitro+ RX RADEON 6800XT 16GB
Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200MHz
WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB EZAZ
Crucial P1 NVMe M.2 1TB ( CT100P1SSD8 ) 5Year
Crucial P1 NVMe M.2 1TB ( CT100P1SSD8 ) 5Year
ASRock Z390 Steel Legend, PSU Silverstone 1100W

0 Likes

@krwawisz wrote:

Hi Guys

I am having a problem with my new setup. Have been using Ryzen 7 3700x paired with GTX 1080 for over an year with no problems. Now I bought new R6800XT and here problems started. In general during heavy load (gaming) 3d Mark (espeially Time SPy CPU test) my computer crashes into black screen and there is no other way to restart than turning off a power supply. Temperatures look ok - no OC beside standard boost CPU profile and XMP set with two clicks in bios. Any Ideas?

My computer: 

MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX

Ryzen 7 3700X - boost on 4200Mhz (cooler Silentium PC Fortis 3) 

Radeon 6800XT (Sapphire)

Patriot Viper Blackout 16GB 3600Mhz

SilentiumPC Supremo FM2 GOLD 750W

all drivers up to date

Sorry to hear about your troubles. 

Looking at the Saphire site and you did not give your model but possibly you don't have a powerful enough power supply. 

Their website on one model calls for a minimum requirement of a 850w power supply. In the reviews there are reports of those cards having power spikes that would exceed what the power supply can supply. So likely for best stability you would not want the minimum on these either. 

If you have the rebadged reference card it has a 750 minimum but again it is very possible a 750 is not really enough for peak load. Many PSU don't do what they claim and as they age they also lose power over time. Also the second you add the new rage mode or overclock in any way the power requirements sky rocket. 

You can run OCCT from ocbase dot come and test that GPU under load and see if you are dropping below 12 volts. If so that could explain the instability. You could also raise the power limit slider to 50 and see if that helps as it does on many cards of the last several generations. 

Specs copy and paste from their site:

GPU
Radeon™ RX 6800 Graphics
7nm GPU
RDNA 2 Architecture
Engine Clock
  • Boost Clock: Up to 2360 MHz
  • Game Clock: Up to 2110 MHz

Game Clock is the expected GPU clock when running typical gaming applications, set to typical TGP(Total Graphics Power). Actual individual game clock results may vary.

Stream Processors
Memory Size/Bus
16GB GDDR6
Memory Clock
16 Gbps Effective
Displays
Maximum 4 Displays
Resolution
  • HDMI™: 7680×4320
  • DisplayPort1.4: 7680×4320
  • USB-C: 7680×4320
Interface

PCI-Express 4.0

BIOS Support
  • Dual UEFI
Game Index

Sapphire Features
  • Dual BIOS
  • Max Boost
  • TriXX Software Switch
  • Premium Digital Power Design
  • Fuse Protection
  • Tri-X Cooling Technology
  • Intelligent Fan Control
  • Precision Fan Control
  • Backplate with ARGB
  • Two-Ball Bearing Fans
  • Hybrid Fan Blade
  • Wave Fin Design
  • V Shape Fin Design for GPU Cooling
  • Integrated Cooling Module
  • K6.5 Memory Pad
  • TriXX Supported
  • Fan Check
  • Fan Quick Connect
  • TriXX Boost
  • NITRO Glow
  • External RGB LED MB Synchronization
  • ARGB Fans
AMD Features
  • AMD RDNA™ 2 Gaming Architecture
  • DirectX® 12 Ultimate
  • Hardware Raytracing 
  • 7nm GPU
  • GDDR6 Memory
  • PCI® Express 4.0 Support
  • AMD FreeSync™ Technology
  • DisplayPort™ 1.4 with DSC 
  • HDMI™ 2.1 VRR
  • Video Streaming up to 8K
  • Radeon™ VR Ready Premium 
  • AMD FidelityFX
  • Radeon™ Image Sharpening 
  • Radeon™ Anti-Lag
  • Radeon™ Software
  • Game Driver Optimizations
  • High Performance 4K Gaming
Cooling

3 Fans

Form Factor
2.7 slot, ATX
Dimension: 310(L)X 134.3(W)X 55.3 (H)mm
Power Consumption
  • 350W
OS

Linux®, Windows® 7*, Windows® 10, and Windows 8.1. 64-bit  operating system required

*Does not support all features including but not limited to Hardware Raytracing

System Requirement
  • Minimum 850 Watt Power Supply
  • 2 x 8-pin Power Connector.
  • PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.
  • Minimum 8GB of system memory. 16GB recommended. 
0 Likes

this is the fix after one year of searching finally i find a fix that worked for me 

https://youtu.be/nHd0065duKE

0 Likes

So I have got an update regarding my issue with my new 6800XT black screening and the need to restart via turning off and on the power supply again. As suggested the root issue actually seems to stem from my Bequiet PSU with 700W actually not being able to handle those spikes. Got myself a new Seasonic Focus Gold 850W PSU and even the heaviest load games run stable now. Kinda getting crazy upgrading PSUs every 2 GPU generations now. 4 Years ago on my 550W to 700W 2 years ago and now up to 850W... so if any of you have similar issues try different PSUs if available.

0 Likes

i have rx 5700 xt and i am using 750 W power supply and I have 0 problem lot of problem is coming form the software that is the one missing up all of this when it is on gaming mode. 

0 Likes
Kanoun
Adept I

Hi,

How strong is your power supply?

0 Likes
Targetsfire
Journeyman III

Please connect two separately power cable pci-e and good hdmi 2.0b (2.1) or dp 1.4 cable used.

1. Update MB BIOS to the latest version.

2. Clear motherboard CMOS.

3. GO to MB BIOS setting page and set CSM as disable or set to UEFI mode.

4. Within MB BIOS setting page, please set PCI-e Speed to Gen3 instead of Auto if your MB does not Support Gen4.

5. Format the HDD and reinstall Windows 10 X64 final version and update.

6. Update motherboard chipset driver to latest version.

7. Install Radeon Adrenalin Final driver here, then reboot the System.

Do not use a power supply lower than the minimum recommended level.

0 Likes