Journeyman III

Radeon 6600 XT downclocking on low GPU intensive games

System:

Ryzen 5 1400

Radeon 6600 XT

16GB DDR4

MSI A320M GAMING PRO

Driver 21.10.2 also tried everything mentioned below on 21.11.3

I'm getting horrible stutters while playing League of Legends because it has a very low GPU usage and radeon seems to have known issues with that.

So far I tried:

Custom profile on Radeon Software for League of Legends: Minimum clock doesn't work, clock still goes lower than the value set.

Disabled ULPS: Disabled it on MSI Afterburner and Regedit, later also disable ulps_na on regedit also didn't work.

I'm aware that my CPU is a heavy bottleneck but shouldn't matter on League. I get solid 58 average fps on Halo Infinite for reference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Proof that that problem is due to downclocking: if I run another game in the background, Dark Souls 3 for instance GPU usage gets high enough so it doesn't downclock and I can play League smoothly.

Edit2: Ordered a Ryzen 5 5600X, will update the post after it arrives in case it solves the issue.

Edit3: forgot to mention I've ordered a msi b550 mag tomahawk to go with te cpu

Edit4: Tried MorePowerTool from Igors Lab and disabled deep sleep and set the minimum core frequency to 1500mhz, confirmed that while playing League the clock never went down further than 1500mhz but the stutter did not stop, maybe the issue it's not underclocking? playing a game in the background still helps tough.

SOLVED: Completely uninstalled the driver using DDU and then proceed to install Radeon 21.8.2. ULPS, Deep Sleep, Minimum Clock and all the other bull**bleep** were reset to default. Works like a charm! 60fps stable in League of Legends.
0 Likes
3 Replies

Did you check on msi support for the 5600x with that model mobo.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

srry I forgot to mention that I've ordered a msi b550 mag tomahawk to with that cpu

0 Likes

Im having the same problems with my XFX 6900xt merc black edition aswell.

Playing Apex and the clock speeds drops down to 800-1400, max load is usually 80%
5800x(stock) is running at 50%

My speeds stay at the minimum value it set them, but honestly why should i have to?

It doesnt really improve the games smoothness either way

0 Likes