Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77

RAM: 16 GB DDR3

PSU: Thermaltake 620W

Operating System & Version: Windows 10

GPU Drivers: latest 19.7.1

Chipset Drivers:

Background Applications: AMD Settings , or none, doesn't matter

Description of Original Problem:

Recently bought Sapphire 5700 XT and as the title says I get unacceptable white flickering with my Samsung C49HG90 monitor. It has Freesync 2 48-144Hz support in Ultimate mode. There’s also Standard mode, but it’s I believe only 120-144 range so it’s pretty much useless. I was really looking forward to finally be able to use Freesync with proper AMD card, because my previous GeForce didn’t support it at all and I’ve read new Nvidia GPUs have issues with Freesync on my monitor.

I tried different games and in I.e. Project Cars 2 it’s very bad. But for some like Assetto Corsa, rFactor2, and RaceRoom (often after trying various settings, vsync modes, refresh rates) it was playable, but still white flickering was visible and colors were brighter when Freesync was engaged. For instance in Assetto I discovered when I pressed Ctrl+f (toggles GPU stats overlay) two times, the flickering almost disappeared (But it’s weird, next day the solution stopped working and I don’t know what actually changed) I managed to reduce it, but it’s still visible even at high stable FPS. It’s also very visible in the AMD Freesync demo (windmill). I changed to HDMI, but it didn’t help. Again after trying various settings, refresh rates etc. At one point I thought Standard freesync mode fixed it.I used CRU to add 48-120hz freesync range and still at first it didn’t help, but then adjusted monitor refresh rate, set Standard Freesync and in the AMD windmill demo finally animation was perfect and all indications showed Freesync was on. After that even Project Cars 2 seemed perfect also without colors brightening. But then tried different games at different FPS cap etc. and it “broke” again. Seeems like freesync was actually off.

Also tried older drivers to no avail. Even tried CRU to set freesync range. Finally had opportunity to try GeForce 1060 6gb turned on Gsync compatible with vsync on and it instantly was WAY better even in Ultimate mode. Pretty much only at FPS drops or low FPS the white flashing and flickering is visible, but not bad. Even in Project Cars 2 were it was constantly terrible, now it’s almost perfect, only visible at sudden FPS variations . In menus is the same bad as with 5700 xt.

TL;DR Tried everything, and while in some games flickering is significantly reduced in some games, but it’s still visible, even at stable FPS. When tried GeForce 1060 6gb with vsync it was instantly almost flawless, except sudden FPS drops. Only In menus was the same bad flickering as with 5700.

Anyone also has similar issues?

Does anyone have any ideas what else I can try to fix it? I don’t think new drivers will fix it soon as freesync flickering is not even in known issues list. It there’s no fix for 5700’s Freesync issue I will return it soon, because I have 14 days to do this without specifying reason.

7 Replies
ioan
Adept I

I have a samsung chg70 32 monitor absolutely the same problems anywhere in old games or in games that do not support hdr everywhere flicker helps in monitor settings only switching to 1st generation freesync without hdr, or turning it off completely.

This is terribly bad and I join the issue too. 

My graphics card Radeon 7

0 Likes
nicduch
Adept I

Same problem here with Ryzen 3800x asus x570 chipset rx5700xt and samsung lc49hf90....

no flickering in 60hz but 100,120 and 144hz make flikering

the flikering same provide of the fps fluctuation see in the panel of the Samsung LC49HG90 IN GAME

no problem with 144hz on windows desktop

0 Likes
armd
Journeyman III

My old 1060 had no problem freesyncing this monitor without flicker, but as soon as I tried two different 5700 and an XT the flicker never left, it's present in any game and any video content, the only solution is to disable Freesync and keep enhanced sync, which is a downgrade.

We all know our monitors are perfectly fine, but the drivers are immature and we would like an official response.

0 Likes
trivego
Journeyman III

Exact same issue with my samsung chg70 27. When you turn off "Ultimate engine" and choose "Standard engine" it works fine, but then you get lower freesync..

0 Likes
avenger82
Journeyman III

I now have Nvidia 2070 Super, and of course the flickering is much less, but it seems a bit more than with 1060 6GB which is weird. But found that when I tune some game settings  it's either not visible or minimal. Only in menus(often) or when FPS drops to 50 or below . For example in Assetto Corsa - it flickered every second no matter what settings, but I when I set in-game option: Render framers ahead (or something like that)  to 1, it got rid of the flickering. It's important to have V-Sync on, but I found in Project Cars 2 I had to use in-game v-sync ON and not in Nvidia control panel(rather: application controlled) . It already had Render frames ahead set to 1. 

So you might experiment with 5700. I remember some games were not that bad i.e. rFactor2.

0 Likes
boraamd01
Journeyman III

I have same issue for this system settings

ASUS 31,5" XG32VQR

i5 3570 cpu
mainboard : z77 gigabyte ds3h rev1.1
ram :1600 mhz 16 gb
display card :amd r9 290 4 gb sapphire +rx 580
connection style : display port cable 1.2
silverstone 1000 watt power supply
amd win10 64bit driver ver 19.12.3
windows 10 64 bit
freesync on------>flicker , blink problem ???
Extreme fluctuation between 60-144 Hz, no game fluency---- freesync off
Extreme fluctuation between 60-144 Hz, no game fluency---- freesync on
Both graphics cards(r9 290-rx580) were tested on the same motherboard did not change anything.Hz (60-144) fluctuation continues.
z77 motherboard x16 input does not work, video cards pci exp x4 inserted into the slot, can this be the reason?
Thanks for your help, wish you good work.

0 Likes
chriswhy
Journeyman III

I also experience flickering with Freesync enabled in at least one game, Final Fantasy XIV (only game I've been playing lately without a framerate cap). This is with a new RX 5700 XT, connected via DisplayPort to my Viotek GN27DB. When FreeSync is disabled, the issue goes away.

I actually thought there was a problem with the backlights at first, glad that's not the case and that I'm not the only one with this issue.

0 Likes