cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

hyper213
Journeyman III

R9 Tri-X 290: No Signal

This computer has been running fine for years and now when I plug my DVI into my monitor and turn on my computer, it just says no signal and turns off. One thing to note is my on board card works, but it can't run any games. I noticed last night when plugging in my TV to it that it wasn't showing a signal, but my monitor was still working fine, then when I turned on my PC in the morning, nothing.

Things I've tried:

- Several resets

- Different DVI wire, different power wires, HDMI and different HDMI wires

- Plugging it into other monitors and TV's, no signal.

- Tried putting my card into another persons computer, same issue.

- Calling my local computer store, they recommend just buying a new one, but prices are too high for me

- Taking out the motherboard battery and putting it back in

My card is a AMD Radeon R9 Tri-X 290, was working fine yesterday and for the past few years.

Please help, I cannot afford a new graphics card.

System info

Operating System

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i7 4770K @ 3.50GHz 49 °C

Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS VI HERO (SOCKET 1150) 27 °C

Graphics

SAMSUNG (1920x1080@59Hz)

Intel HD Graphics 4600 (ASUStek Computer Inc)

Storage

931GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ (SATA) 29 °C

111GB KINGSTON SUV400S37120G (SSD) 26 °C

931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-08M2NA0 (SATA) 31 °C

931GB Western Digital WD My Passport 0837 USB Device (USB (SATA)) 29 °C

Optical Drives

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH10L

Audio

Intel Display Audio

3 Replies
dstmnd89x
Challenger

What's the power supply model?

It does sound like the card might have died on you but is there any way you can try a different card installed in the same slot? Can be anything, just for troubleshooting purposes. When you say that the computer turns off are you referring to just the monitor or does the whole computer shut itself down. If that were the case, I would inspect the card for signs of dust buildup or a failed cooling fan. Do you know if the card has twin BIOS; if possible, could you try switching it on the PCB itself?

0 Likes

I don't have anything else I can put into the PCIE slot to try it out.

What I meant was my monitor shows no cable plugged in till I plug in my card, then it goes to no signal and goes into standby mode.

My power supply is a Corsair CX750M 750 WATT.

I have no idea what twin bios is but there is this tiny switch on it that I tried flipping and nothing changed.

After trying a few things I dusted everything in the tower and dusted the card itself. All fans on the card are spinning normally.

0 Likes

The small switch on the card is the toggle between the BIOS... you can think of it as a fail safe just in case one of the BIOS gets a bad flash or becomes corrupted.

I think we can rule out the monitor and cables but I'd suggest double-checking the PCIe power connections and make sure that you aren't daisy-chaining any of the connectors. In other words, if you can use separate runs from the power supply to the GPU try that. I recently ran into an issue where a power supply was powering a card just fine but then started giving me issues because one of the ends actually fried over time.

There's not a whole lot more we can try if the card still fails to display any video, unfortunately. Did you try the DisplayPort out on the card by any chance? It shouldn't make a difference but you could at least try a DP connection, if your monitor supports it.

0 Likes