cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Kv2
Adept I

R9 Fury X not working in B550, VGA EZ Debug light

Hi All. I've got a weird issue and would like to hear some thoughts. I recently upgraded my whole system but decided to keep my GPU the same. I'm running a Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi, 16GB (2X8) Hyper X Fury RGB 3200 CL16, 1TB NVME M.2 (pcie 3.0), Corsair TX 750M. 

Every time I try to boot after building it I get the VGA error light. So far I have checked all cables, especially checked cables to the GPU (they are the right ones, not the 8pin CPU power for example, plus im not using any splitters and are the official corsair ones), used different outputs from the Fury, re-seated RAM, tried 1 RAM stick, tried the slower PCI-E slot, Flashed the MB bios to a later image, flashed the Fury VBIOS to the 2016 ver which has UEFI support. 

Before flashing the Fury X I would get no image at all, but since flashing I get maybe 1/8th of the bios in view, like a random portion of the bios. Rest of the screen is black and can't click anything. The mouse and keyboard light up but seem unresponsive. If I clear the CMOS I get the device details have changed message displaying perfectly fine (on 2 of my 3 monitors like its mirrored, but then it brings up that heavily lacking BIOS image only on one monitor. My primary monitor in all of this (An AOC freesync) never displays anything how hard I try, yet my 2 other monitors (which are actually small TV's) do display something, at least not well. I'm at a loss and have no idea what to try, or any spare graphics cards to test. Please also note that I can put the Fury X back into my old system (6600K, Z170) and its working fine. Its what I'm typing this up on!

If anyone has any ideas that would be appreciated! I'm at a loss and have little to no money to buy other parts. I'm wondering if the Fury X is at fault, or do I have a MB / CPU issue relating to the VGA Error light? 

R7 3700X, MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X, MSI B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi, 16GB Hyper X Fury RGB, 1TB Nvme, 4TB HDD
0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi All,

Just in case someone out there has an issue similar to me, I managed to fix it so Ill post this for anyone that needs it.

My BIOS was set out of the factory to only use UEFI mode. My Fury X was not happy and apparently wasn't working well with the BIOS set to this, not sure why (UEFI was ticked in GPU-Z), might have been a bad flash and using the 2nd VBIOS on the Fury X didn't help either, but after buying a cheap HD 5450 on eBay the motherboard recognised it instantly and switched to CSM/UEFI mode. After that I could view my BIOS as normal, and was able to boot into Windows perfectly fine. Seems like something with the Fury X was preventing the display from working correctly. I haven't tried it in the PC since as I have upgraded to a new GPU and retired the old girl. Hopefully this helps someone, and its always handy to have spare GPU on hand!

Kv2

R7 3700X, MSI RTX 3070 Gaming X, MSI B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi, 16GB Hyper X Fury RGB, 1TB Nvme, 4TB HDD

View solution in original post

3 Replies
benman2785
Big Boss

fun try:

ONLY connect your AOC main monitor
try again

did you flashed a new vbios on your fury? for custom oc etc?

do a CMOS reset - upgrade to latest BIOS for your MoBo
leave everything at auto (no xmp or docp)

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS

Thank you for the reply! I'll give it a go! I was trying singular monitors but will try again.

Yes I flashed a new VBIOS, one that specified it had UEFI support as I saw another post from last July about someone else having an issue with the Fury X not working in an X570  and having to flash to this bios. Didn't do it for custom OC though, only UEFI support. Before this I've never touched OC or either VBIOS.

Tried CMOS reset too, and it is on the latest non beta branch for the mobo bios. I assume everything is left at auto, but I cannot tell as the BIOS barely displays correctly haha

0 Likes

Hi All,

Just in case someone out there has an issue similar to me, I managed to fix it so Ill post this for anyone that needs it.

My BIOS was set out of the factory to only use UEFI mode. My Fury X was not happy and apparently wasn't working well with the BIOS set to this, not sure why (UEFI was ticked in GPU-Z), might have been a bad flash and using the 2nd VBIOS on the Fury X didn't help either, but after buying a cheap HD 5450 on eBay the motherboard recognised it instantly and switched to CSM/UEFI mode. After that I could view my BIOS as normal, and was able to boot into Windows perfectly fine. Seems like something with the Fury X was preventing the display from working correctly. I haven't tried it in the PC since as I have upgraded to a new GPU and retired the old girl. Hopefully this helps someone, and its always handy to have spare GPU on hand!

Kv2