cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

phookmi
Journeyman III

r9 390x throttling at 70 celsius

I have a Sapphire R9 390x. I bought it 2016 ZERO issues, till 2 days ago, the unit is watercooled, but now when Im gaming the card starts throttling at exactly 70 celsius, it will never go above 70, it just throttles and FPS drops and stutters.

I have a suspicion the card might have finally gone bad and time to upgrade, but wanted to see if anyone else has seen this issue?

0 Likes
1 Reply

It could be that your thermal compound just needs to be replaced between the block and the GPU. Usually it something that has to be replaced at some point. I typically get 4 to 5 years but had an RX 580 I had to replace it on after 2 years. I would clean everything up and apply new paste and try before writing the card off. When you pull the cooler off know that their are thermal pads on the vrms and memory usually that can easily be damaged so go slow and have a razor blade handy or something to aid in removal or buy new thermal pads ahead of time. You can usually find plenty of how to videos online of how to do this. 

Good Luck!

0 Likes