Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

jpamdr9
Journeyman III

R9 390 Crashing, Flickering & Unusable

Afternoon Guys,

As of about 2 days ago, my graphics card seems to been having some problems.

When I start my computer up, everything loads as normal. I can login and have the screen on the home windows 7 screen without any issues.

As soon as I open a browser, or program about a few seconds to minutes in the screen will go black, start flickering and all colorful things happen (hard to explain) but I can no longer use or see the screen. If it helps, I can upload a video of the issue.

I was running the driver 18.6.1 however I downgraded to 18.5.1 and am still having the issues.

I also tried cleaning all the physical ports, cables of dust and plugged everything into different port however it hasn't solved the issue.

The card I am using is an Radeon R9 390 MSI - Overview for Radeon R9 390 GAMING 8G | Graphics card - The world leader in display performance | MSI...

I've never had any issues with the graphics before, the computer and card are not overclocked.

The card has never even really played any games, only used for business stuff (emails, internet, etc) with the occasional game of say fortnite, or WoW.

In safe mode the computer is working as normal, however when tried to run on standard boot I cannot use the computer.

If anyone has any tips or solutions to my problem it would be much appreciated.

15 Replies
thermokoppel
Adept I

R9 270X  and have the same issue with 18.6.1

Could not boot win 10 anymore.

Reinstalling win 10 and  radeon 18.5.1 was  the only solution.

grts

Cheers,

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling driver 18.5.1, however it is still occurring

Other than a whole windows re-image, is there any other solutions?

0 Likes

Hoi,

the first time I did the upgrade to 18.5.1 , my system chrashed. (flikkering screen)

Replaced image with driver 18.4.1

I tried then with 18.6.1, same result.

Replaced image with 18.4.1 and now for some reasons my driver is 18.5.1.

0 Likes

Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply.

Now that you say that. I intentionally tried to install driver radeon-software-adrenalin-18.3.4-minimalsetup-180325_64bit. However; after it installed and I rebooted. Driver radeon-adrenalin-18.5.1-minimalsetup-180522_64bit was installed as well.

I'm hoping it's only a software issue and not a hardware issue.

Any clarification guys?

0 Likes

Installed 18.7.1, do not activate virtual super resolution, same problem as before.

grts

0 Likes
jpamdr9
Journeyman III

Hi Guys,

I'm still having these issues, even with trying all the suggested solutions.

Any other information to help me resolve this painstaking issue?

Cheers.

0 Likes

Hoi,

delete all AMD drivers: AMD Clean Uninstall Utility

and just install the windows drivers,

see if you have the same problem.

grts

0 Likes

I have done that about a week ago and am running off the standard motherboard graphics card.

I haven't had a single problem.

Thus, I know it's a software issue.

Any help from here?

0 Likes
jpamdr9
Journeyman III

BUMP.

0 Likes

Supplying some INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION​ may help someone offer further suggestions, in the meantime some basic troubleshooting,

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
jpamdr9
Journeyman III

Can anyone help????
I can't do anything to fix it, what is going on>?

0 Likes

Post your specs.   If you can, upload a video of the issue.

0 Likes

I read prior that it could be GPU Artifcacting.

I had a bit of a read, and I've increased the GPU Fan speed manually to max and I haven't had an issue since.

So i think the cause is gpu overheating, now I'm unsure as to why it would spontaneously start overheating.

Would anyone know the cause of spontaneous overheating?

See below PC Specs.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/Jaaack1/saved/QFf323

0 Likes

What are your temps?  Use GPU-Z and write the GPU and VRM temperatures 1 and 2 under load.

0 Likes

GPU Sensors.gif