cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

R9 390 black screen, freeze.

Screen goes black, no video signal eventually/usually appears, computer freezes, hard reset by long holding power button, reset button doesn't work with that freeze.

Motherboard: GA-B85-HD3

CPU: i5 4670k not OC'ed

GPU: Gigabyte R9 390, cooled with arctic xtreme IV

RAM: 2 x 4GB DDR3

Driver: currently none, tested lastest and two previous

VBIOS: don't know, running on integrated Intel now due to inability to use AMD's

Happened few days ago. During playing R6:S (thisis not a game error problem) screen went black but "no video signal" didn't appear, PC seemed to freeze since there was no sound also, absolutelly no reaction to alt+f4, ctrl+alt+del. Thought it might be just game error (something like that din't happen before) tried to restart the game after hard PC reset. As soon uplay initiated the game start screen went black with some few colourful horizontal stripes visible for a fraction of second before that. After one more failed game start cleaned drivers with amd tool and updated the drivers. No effect. Cleaned with DDU and installed latest drivers, no effect. Installed some older drivers 18.3.x, no effect.

Then it got worse. Giving up on a game tried to simply browse reddit, watch some vids and black screen with PC freeze appeared as soon as I tried to open any streamable type vid. Then I tested PC located vid files. Black screen and freeze didn't occur with vid files played MPC but as soon I tried to play them with VLC screen instantly went black. Playing YT worked, tried Twitch - black screen, freeze(BSF). Tried some other websites with various type of"free" movies - BSF.

Gradually things got worse and worse. Finally "no video signal" started to appear, BSF started to appear both on YT and while playing vids with MPC, and finally started BSF as soon I loaded windows, even before "welcome" screen.

Starting win in emergency mode doesn't crash PC, all vids and websites work normally although playing content in worse quality obviously.

Eventually enabled integrated Intel GPU, installed its drivers, using it now, crashes and black screen stopped completelly, of course while using integrated only.

So.... my card is on it's way to the bin or it's more like software problem?

9 Replies

Checked mobo error codes, tried different cable/port to monitor/card ?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
xplosivebum
Journeyman III

Hey just wanted to say I am having the same problem as you. I posted the other day. Same card, same issue. I have tried plenty of troubleshooting, clean installs, new drivers, system restore, re-plugging the entire computer. Nothing has worked. I will be buying a new PSU this week and will let you know if that fixes things. If not, I will have to buy a new GPU.

0 Likes

Solved my problem with buying used MSI gtx 1070, all issues are gone now:)

Nice! I was almost in the same boat. I have a placeholder card in my PC right now, but am looking at the 2070 or 1080 right now. Turns out my R9 390 had actually burnt the VRAM on the card despite the massive heat sinks. Maybe AMD should have rethought how this card works because this only lasted me 2 years at max.

mack0y
Elite

For how long did you have the card?

0 Likes

Just over 3 years. Will try to dismount the arctic heatsink and check if there's any visible damage.

What advantage has 2070 over 1080?

Heard new gen is really prone to hardware failures.

Also did you also have gigabyte model. Original cooler was loud AF.

0 Likes

Mine is also over 3 years old and been having the same issue lately.  Mine is MSI.  Check out the other thread.

R9 390 and black screen problems

I just know the new architecture will be supported by drivers longer, and if I buy an EVGA or other high end card I will get a good warranty. My R9 390 was an MSI card, supposedly had the best heatsinks on these cards they bragged about.

0 Likes

Have you noticed that the MSI support page does not list the R9 390/X even though it lists older cards?

Support Center for Graphics Cards | MSI Global