@ 15635248. Its completely your call bro. Modified bios was the only thing that worked for me and I tried everything. As far as modifiying bios goes its your choice. I think you can always re-flash the original bios on card if you intend to RMA. The problem would be only if you would brick the card then RMA is out of question. Google and study carefully process for modifiing bios. But if done properly and if amounts are modified in normal values I think you cant brick the card.
AH, Been a while since I've been back here. My drivers have been working great so I've had no reason to return until AMD updated the drivers changing the fan profile and wattage settings and making it so that I can't make my fans run quiet at the cost of extra heat! Seriously, ever since the updated WattMan my graphics card doesn't care what speed I tell it to run at manually, it just takes off in every game. Does anyone know how to fix this so that I can have some peace and quiet when I'm gaming again? Have you guys been experiencing the same issues?
My R9 290 was working until I got the same issue being this week. Took several days to clean out. Never could overclock my system, but I finally find out how to overclock my i5 to 4+ ghz from 3~ ghz and overclock my r290 from defaults now pushing it to 1+ ghz with stability by manually setting volts. Resolved most of the issues hopefully. Not sure if the random pauses might come back.
I followed your instructions precisely for the bios mod fix. I've only had the Black Screen of Death a handful of times over the last couple of years but, because I primarily use Linux, I decided to go for a permanent fix that should work independently of driver.
From the other post I gather your goal was to hit the median IMC noted by smoke165 to avoid a current spike should the mclk jump from min to max. Because I experienced the problem infrequently, it's unlikely I'll make another report. Thank you for the procedure.
EDIT, Follow-up regarding Adrenalin and Global Wattman:
The minimum stable voltage for my card ended up being 1000mV or 1V. I have that set in bios but it seems Linux and Windows ignore it. Started seeing crashes in Windows 10 until I set the voltage control to manual and both States 1 and 2 to "1000mV".