cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

megagoth1702
Journeyman III

R9 290 Tri-X, ONE of THREE fans going full speed, hypersensitive to temperature change

Hello guys,

please help me out with this issue with my Sapphire R9 290 OC Tri-X graphics card. First check out this video.

So yeah, after the PC has been running for a few minutes (around 15) (without any significant strain on the GPU, surfing, watching Series) that single fan starts going very loud. If I shut down the system for 5min and boot it back up again, that single fan goes ham instantly. It seems that it is super-hyper sensibile to the temperature-fan speed curve because the other two fans are pretty chilled out.

It seems to be a low-level software or hardware problem, because this happens before any drivers are loaded.

It's even funnier. Today, at a "idle" situation, the GPU core temperature was 43°C, the fans were at 27% and that single fan was going CRAAAZY. Now, after playing The Witcher 3 for 1 hour (100%GPU Usage, 80°C GPU Temp) I am back in Windows, idle, temperature is 52°C, fan speed is 30% and that single fan is quiet. I do not hear the annoying whine. I checked the fans out visually and the trouble fan seems to go just a tad faster than the other two. This is really, really inconsistent and weird and I am totally confused on what's going on there.

Hardware: i5-2500K at 4.3 GHz, antec true power 550w, Z86 Pro3 Gen3 MB, 8GB of Ram, freshly installed Windows 8.1, GPU driver is the "GTA V optimized beta driver". The GPU is slightly overclocked with MSI Afterburner to 1100/1400, +20% power and a slight voltage boost, but the problem persists on stock clocks as well.

I would welcome any ideas. Do I have to RMA the card? 😕

Thank you very much!

Nachricht geändert durch Andrej S., fixed URLs

0 Kudos
8 Replies
kingfish
MVP

Re: R9 290 Tri-X, ONE of THREE fans going full speed, hypersensitive to temperature change

And what does Sapphire support have to say about it? Check for bios update? 550 PS is the bare minimum for a R9 290....I don't know what a OC version requires. Did you follow the advice in your other/same thread?

0 Kudos
megagoth1702
Journeyman III

Re: R9 290 Tri-X, ONE of THREE fans going full speed, hypersensitive to temperature change

Thank you for your reply.

First of all - I do not believe the threads are the same, the problems are different!

I have not yet contacted Sapphire support, because I have actually never ever contacted a hardware support yet. This is pretty much my first time and I am inexperienced.

Where do I get a BIOS update? This site does not contain any files.

550W is actually plenty for my system. Playing the craziest games (BF4, Crysis 3, GTA V, Witcher 3) the measured wattage of my system is about 400W. I run Windows 8.1, which should be fine for this graphics card BUT as I said in the OP I think the problem is hardware-low level software related.

I am about to complete all steps in your response to my other thread. This might solve the AMD Spam in the EventLog but probably not the fan issue.

0 Kudos
kingfish
MVP

The bios update, if any , will be from the Sapphire support site.

0 Kudos
megagoth1702
Journeyman III

Can you please help me find it?

The only thing I found was this , but this is not the Tri-X R9 290, it has the wrong clocks for that.

0 Kudos

0 Kudos
kingfish
MVP

The Forum God likes you better than me. When I put those links in the post....I get the Moderation baloney again.

0 Kudos
kingfish
MVP

Use the drop down on that page to find yours. Here is what Sapphire says the system requirements are for that card.

System Requirements
  • PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available
    on the motherboard.
  • 1X75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector is required.
  • 4096MBMinimum of system memory.
  • Installation software requires CD-ROM drive.
  • DVD playback requires DVD drive.
  • Blu-ray™ / HD DVD playback requires Blu-ray / HD DVD drive.
  • 750 Watt Power Supply is required.
  • 1X150 Watt 8-pin PCI Express power connector is required.
  • 64-bit operating system highly recommended
  • A display with digital input (HDMI, DisplayPort or DVI) is required
0 Kudos

I did too. Apparently a mod must've been on at the time and approved it.

0 Kudos