cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

akeen
Journeyman III

R9 290 graphics card drivers

I have this model of graphic card "R9290-DC2OC-4GD5", its a model from ASUS and AMD but I can't find the appropriate drivers for it. The ones in the CD that came with the package are outdated and can't be updated directly. And the ones I find in AMD site aren't compatible.

With the original drivers from the CD/Asus I don't get BSOD or crashes/freezes during games, but the performance is low and some game won't even open because the drivers are outdated.

With the most recent drivers from AMD site I can start the games and get good fps's but I get BSOD and freezes all the time.

It seems like the ones AMD delivers are not compatible with cards made in partnership with ASUS while the original ones have not been updated since 2015.

0 Likes
4 Replies

Try installing a previous AMD Driver from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/amd-radeon-r9-series/amd-radeon-r9-200-seri... 

I would try the oldest first 09/23/2019 and see if it works better than the latest version.

0 Likes

I tried to install one of those drivers but the installer just download the latest version anyway,

0 Likes

Seems like Windows installed the driver before you could.

Follow this simple basic method of installing the AMD Driver:

Uninstall the current AMD Driver using DDU as per this method:

It could be due to a corrupted AMD Driver installation.

Download free program DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Run it in Safe mode with the internet disconnected.

You can also run DDU in Windows Desktop but then you need to reboot to finish erasing all of the AMD driver.

Once it finishes uninstalling the current AMD Driver in Safe mode and boots back to Windows Desktop, still with the Internet disconnected, delete the AMD Installation folder C:\AMD if it was created before.

You can run DDU in Windows Desktop but then you would need to reboot or restart your computer to finish deleting all trances of AMD.

Now install the full AMD Drive package you downloaded manually from AMD Download page. Not the express package. Run the package and if it installs correctly again delete C:\AMD folder and reconnect the internet.

This should prevent any conflict when installing the new version from the previous version.

By the way, C:\AMD is always created whenever you run the AMD Driver package

0 Likes
akeen
Journeyman III

"Now install the full AMD Drive package you downloaded manually from AMD Download page"

how can I install it without using the express version, if I run the setup in safe mode it just says that it can't install because no connection to the internet

0 Likes