cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

alcohollica
Journeyman III

R9 290, blank screen, yet PC lab says everything's fine.

PC build:

PCU: Intel i3-6100 3.70Hz

Motherboard: Asus z170-a ; BIOS ver. 1602, 07.01.2016

Ram: 16Gb HyperX ddr4

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 290 GIGABYTE

Drivers: Radeon Adrenaline Software 18.5.2
Screen: Samsung, res at 1360x768 @60Hz HDMI

PSU: Cooler Master v850 , 850w

The problem is a bit hard to explain so I’ll try and explain what happened.

One day, after using my pc and leaving it on idle I left the room. After about an hour, I return and the PC is running but the screen indicates “no signal”. All fans were running.

I restart the pc and the boot sequence sounds right, yet again - "no signal". I take out the GPU and connect the HDMI to the motherboard using the integrated graphics… PC boots just fine.
I take the damn thing to a lab and leave it for diagnostics (hope dies last) and about an hour later they call me telling me they can’t find anything wrong with the GPU. The took it out, put it in a different computer – ran fine, then took it out and put it back in mine – again, boots up just fine. I arrive at the store, with a smile from one ear to the other and indeed the pc runs just fine. They restart it in front of me a few times so I can see for myself and I’m convinced – something’s wrong with me. Maybe worth mentioning – the pc was hooked to a relatively old monitor via HDMI to VGA adaptor (the default resolution was probably low).
So I go back home, put the pc in its place, connect all the wires and turn it on…. again blank screen. I should mention - when the PC is off the screen reads - "no input" and when I turn the PC on - the screen goes black for a second and the "no signal" message appears.

I tried:

• Removing different cables and a few times all, but the power cable and the HDMI.
  • A different HDMI cable
  • A different monitor
  • Using a different PCI slot
  • Using a different socket in the PSU
  • Checking if the power supply cable is ok pin by pin
  • Checking the GPU for some burned out/ dislocated parts
  • Moving the ram to a different set of slots
  • Booting in safe mode
  • Setting BIOS to default
  • Booting with the GPU in the PCI slot but power cables disconnected – the pc loads fine but doesn’t recognize a display adapter (someone told me it will)
  • Disable team viewer on startup (don’t know why I thought it would help)
  • Reinstalled drivers
  • Uninstalled device from device manager and booted
  • Connecting the main power cable directly to a wall socket

So finally, I get a crazy idea – after PC boots with no display I check the team viewer on my phone and lo and behold – the damn thing seems to be on-line. I start a session and it seem to have loaded just fine. I log in and the screen (in the session) goes black. I click the virtual keyboard’s “windows” key and the picture comes back on. I can use the PC normally but when I open display settings I cannot change the resolution and stranger – I can’t scroll. When I do, nothing changes until I end the Team Viewer session and start a new one. In device manager, the PC seems to recognize the GPU just fine but still – “no signal” on main display.
I've had this build for about a year or so and before that – an AMD A10 Processor (I think), which as my current one, bottlenecked the GPU, which should have prevented it from utilizing 100% of its capabilities, thus prolonging its life.

There’s no info on anything like that on the web as far as I could find and most of the solutions to similar problems don’t work for me. I really like my 290 and prefer not to part ways with it yet.

I’m desperate, if you can - help me, if not - hopes and prayers will do.

0 Replies