cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

jimp0
Journeyman III

r9 290 artifacts after driver update (won't boot)

I updated my drivers about a week ago and played about 10 hours of bf5 over the weekend. I just updated windows also and when I tried to start BF5 it wouldn't launch. When I restarted my pc there was a vertical stripe of artifacts when I went into the bios and when I try to boot windows goes crazy with the artifacts then sends me to repair which has the vertical stripe over it. I cant even select options. Is there a way to fix this. I have another computer I can put the card in. I just don't want to damage the second PC.

Gigabyte 990FX ud3 mobo

MSI r9 290 4g Gaming 18.12.2 driver

FX 8350

16GB Kingston HyperX Predator 2133@1600

LG 2560x1080 Monitor 75hz freesync

0 Likes
1 Solution

Sound like you GPU card is bad. Other Users in the past had similar problems. Either after updating the GPU drivers and restarting the computer or the computer crashed and needed to restart again then afterwards the GPU failed to work.

Best way is to install it on another computer to see if it does the same thing. If it does, most likely your GPU card went bad. It shouldn't harm the other computer.

Since it is happening during viewing BIOS it is a good indication the GPU is bad since there are no GPU Drivers loaded at that time.  Install the other GPU card from the other computer or install another previous GPU card and see if it works correctly. If it does that at least indicates your computer and Windows is working normally.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies

Sound like you GPU card is bad. Other Users in the past had similar problems. Either after updating the GPU drivers and restarting the computer or the computer crashed and needed to restart again then afterwards the GPU failed to work.

Best way is to install it on another computer to see if it does the same thing. If it does, most likely your GPU card went bad. It shouldn't harm the other computer.

Since it is happening during viewing BIOS it is a good indication the GPU is bad since there are no GPU Drivers loaded at that time.  Install the other GPU card from the other computer or install another previous GPU card and see if it works correctly. If it does that at least indicates your computer and Windows is working normally.

0 Likes

I found my 5770 and nothing else is bad. I kinda already knew what was wrong I just wanted to see if there was possibly a way to fix the card.

I'm going to try to put it in the other computer tomorrow.

EDIT: I remover the backplate and cooler. There is a lot of moisture on the card. I'm going to clean it up before I try it again.

0 Likes

If the GPU card is not covered by Warranty it probably will cost almost as much as a new GPU card to repair.

Maybe the Manufacturer of the GPU card has a Flat Rate for repairing your card and it might be worth paying to have it fixed then. Also some Manufacturers have a limited Lifetime Warranty like Visiontek has or at least used to have on their AMD GPU cards. If it does it might cover the repairs to fix your R9.

Either way,

Good luck.

EDIT: Since the card may be bad, you might want to try and re-flash the vBIOS and see if maybe that fixes it. You can download your GPU card's vBIOS from here: VGA Bios Collection | TechPowerUp . The website has the program to Flash vBIOS on AMD GPU Cards. Just mentioning this since it wouldn't matter if the vBIOS works or not since the card is defective anyways. But not sure if you need to log in to Windows to Flash the GPU's vBIOS or you can do it from a Flash Drive directly. I have never needed to Flash any of my GPU's vBIOSes in the past. I have read some Users as having mentioned it did fix their GPU after Re-Flashing the vBIOS. Seems like the vBIOS got corrupted and after Re-Flashing the GPU card starting working again.

0 Likes