cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

lfernee
Journeyman III

r9 270 will not work in windows 10

Screen went blank after a Windows update, early Nov. Replaced hard disk and reinstalled Windows. Display OK through boot up until it starts to load Windows. Screen goes blank although disk activity continues.

Works with Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver but goes blank during Radeon driver update.,

1 Reply

I had this issue on 3 of my AMD cards too. But the drivers will load and it isn't only AMD causing the problem, It is Windows Update butting in the middle of installations and corrupting the installs. Is there something AMD could do that prompts or cold stop this behavior, maybe, probably, I don't know. I know my NVidia drivers don't have install issues like this.

Want to get the driver working please try the following:

Make sure Windows is fully up to date. Make sure you scan! Don't just go to update and see it says no updates. Half the time it's wrong, so scan.

If you have other video drivers on your system for instance intel, make sure it is fully up to date as well.

Download the 19.2.2 driver from AMD.

Download the current, (it changes often, don't use an old version) DDU from wagnardsoft_com, read and follow instructions. Don't run it yet

Now change a couple things in Windows that will help. Disable Hibernation/Fast Startup (this stops windows from loading old cached driver info, that leads to it changing your drivers) this feature is horrible and IMHO not needed, it will make booting from a spinning disk a hair faster, but the trouble it creates is not worth it. Disable automatic driver updates (pro windows only) search google on how to to do this with Home version. A bit more tricky.  Download Winaero Tweaker (winaero_com) and it has a simple check box to do this that works on either version.

Run DDU from safe mode, disconnect from the internet, restart and install the 19.2.2 driver. Un-check the sending information back to AMD box at the bottom and un-check the auto updating (in my experience never auto update, download the stand alone driver, auto update only adds to the chance of a corrupt install), choose clean install, if that is not available thats okay DDU fully did it's job. Restart!

If it still is not all working okay, don't un-install, just express install the same driver you just installed over itself again.

If it doesn't work for you at this point you either have a corrupted Windows Registry or Bad Hardware and time for a new GPU. I personally absolutely believe that these black screen issues have likely causes premature failure in the GPU's. I heard my fans kick on HIGH when it happened on mine and turned off my machine and immediately ran DDU. For those not realizing to do that, they likely keep booting hoping the issues would correct itself thus damaging their GPU.

Please let AMD know about your issue regardless of how it works out. They badly need to realize this is an issues and I have been letting them know about this cause myself since it first started a year ago.

Online Service Request | AMD