Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

jironity
Adept I

r9 270 GPU fan either 0rpm or 4200

AMD Radeon r9 270
GPU fan acts like it has only two options - 0RPM and ~4200RPM. Right up to 90C temperature it doesn't work at all, and as soon as it reaches 90 it starts spinning an 4200RPM, then around 80 it again stops completely.

In Global OverDrive fan speed is set to auto and it shows normal behaviour (speed varies according to tempretatures - right now for example it shows 20% fan speed for 40C, but the fan itself doesnt spin) - when controling it manually it again acts like it has only 2 options - up to 80% speed it doesn't work at all, and as soon as i set it to 85 and higher, it spins at ~4200RPM
All other(other than fan speed when i set it manually) settings everywhere in 'AMD Settings' are default

I never used any 3rd party software that controls something like this, i only use CPUID HWMonitor to check the temperatures.

There is also nothing wrong physically with the fan, i removed it, cleaned it and lubed just in case(tho it moved perfectly fine as it was)

16 Replies
elstaci
MVP

Re: r9 270 GPU fan either 0rpm or 4200

As per AMD Forum rules : INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION .

Something is not working. Do you have AMD Wattman activated? that is what is used to control AMD GPU Cards fans. Install or activate AMD Wattman and then configure the GPU fans.

I don't have Wattman installed but someone like kingfish​ or someone else can show you how to properly configure Wattman to run your GPU fans correctly.

kingfish
MVP

Please post a picture of your Wattman settings like below. Please read How do I set a custom fan curve? MSI doesn't seem to work anymore.

jironity
Adept I

123.jpeg

This is how it looks for me. Version is 18.2.1 so it should be here right?

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

kingfish
MVP

Put your Power Control to +20

Put your fan speed to 80%

Put your computer power plan to high performance

0 Likes
jironity
Adept I

No, a regular desktop.
I don't have the "target temperature" setting, and power setting didn't change anything

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Put your Power Control to +20

Put your fan speed to 80%

Put your computer power plan to high performance

0 Likes
jironity
Adept I

Nope, the same exact behavior. Only now it reached 98C and i had to switch the fan to 85% bacause it didn't work at all on 80

0 Likes
jironity
Adept I

So i just figured something out: it's only working normally when the CPU (i5 4440) also reaches certain load\temperature. It looks like some kind of 0db feature that i shouldn't even have(afaik). Any ideas on where can i check to try find it and turn it off?

0 Likes