cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Eagle74
Adept I

R7 5825U Vega 8 VRAM Limit

One of my kids has a Dell Inspiron 3525 with the R7 5825U & 16GB (2x8) RAM 3200.  The Vega 8 IGPU shows 512 MB VRAM (HW reserved RAM).  Since there is no setting for it in BIOS, it probably cannot be changed to the max of 2 GB.  Can the IGPU use more VRAM up to the 2 GB limit if it is needed in a game?  Or is it locked to the 512 GB setting no matter what?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Yes if there is no BIOS setting to increase or decrease the vRAM means the manufacturer has made whatever amount of vRAM allocated a being permanent. Unless later on the Manufacturer creates a newer BIOS version that will have that setting enabled in the future.

Even though the physical amount of vRAM is 512MB, Windows will allocate automatically whatever System Memory is needed to run any program or video. 

Once the program or video ends, Windows will free up that System Memory for other uses.

Having more vRAM will probably make the IGPU run more efficiently.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies

Yes if there is no BIOS setting to increase or decrease the vRAM means the manufacturer has made whatever amount of vRAM allocated a being permanent. Unless later on the Manufacturer creates a newer BIOS version that will have that setting enabled in the future.

Even though the physical amount of vRAM is 512MB, Windows will allocate automatically whatever System Memory is needed to run any program or video. 

Once the program or video ends, Windows will free up that System Memory for other uses.

Having more vRAM will probably make the IGPU run more efficiently.

0 Likes

Thanks.  So it is not really a big deal with only 512 MB 'reserved VRAM.'  Windows will just allocate more if it is needed.  

0 Likes

Correct.

Many apps requires a GPU with more than 2GB of vRAM and at least one Radeon Feature, I believe, AMD Relive requires a GPU with greater than 2GB of vRAM.

I have read from other Users that some laptops can allocate greater than 2GB of vRAM for their laptop IGPU. But, in the past, the maximum amount that could be allocated to a Laptop's IGPU was 2GBs of vRAM.

Now Desktop IGPU can allocate a lot more System Memory than laptops since they can hold more System RAM than laptops.

0 Likes