cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

penalt
Adept II

R7 370 Random Freezing

I have recently upgraded my computer from R7 Integrated Graphics to having an R7 370 2Gb graphics card.  Ever since I have been getting random crashes of my system.  What happens is everything on the screen freezes in a perfect image and the computer completely locks up completely ignoring all attempts at keyboard or other input.  The HDD also immediately ceases all activity.  The system must be then power cycled after which the system returns to normal function. 

The issue only occurs with game applications.  Web surfing, streaming, or other computer work does not cause the issue.  Three game applications in particular have been known to trigger the issue.

- ARK: Survival Evolved

- 7 Days to Die

- World of Warships

Altering graphic settings, both in game and via the Radeon Settings software appear to have no effect.  The following steps have also been attempted with no effect on the issue.

- Upgrading power supply from 400w to 500w to 600w.

- Ram testing, Ram is good.

- Disabling integrated graphics via BIOS settings

I have also checked fan speeds and temperature while running benchmark tests.  Fans do ramp up to 100% appropriately and highest temperature recorded has been 81 degrees Celsius.  . All software is fully updated.

Link to DxDiag file on Dropbox: Dropbox - DxDiag.txt

Any suggestions on a course of action VERY appreciate.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: R7 370 Random Freezing

Could be a software or a hardware issue. To rule out a software issue, let's try a system clean up and a fresh installation of the latest drivers.

1. Run the Windows self check tool to check scan and automatically repair any corrupt files found in Windows. There is a guide on how to do it here.  What you need to do is run an elevated command prompt (elevated means run it as administrator) and type SFC /SCANNOW. This will generate a statement indicating if errors were found the Operating system and if they were fixable.

2. Make sure you have installed Microsfot NetFramework and Visual C++ 2013. These should be installed already, but they can become damaged, need repairing or reinstalling.

3. Update Windows. Install all available critical, recommended and optional updates. Often Netframework and Visual C are included in the recommended or optional updates Windows provides. Windows should always be fully up to date before installing our drivers!

4. Use DDU to sweep the system of AMD drivers in safe mode.

5. Install the latest Crimson 16.7.3 drivers once the above is completed and check to see if the issue is resolved.

If the same issue persists, or if you are already using 16.7.3, please try using an older Crimson driver.

0 Kudos
penalt
Adept II

Thanks,

I'll get doing those right now and reply back in 24-48 hours if the issue is resolved.  Sooner if it isn't.  Oh, and thank you for the how to links.

EDIT

I've run the recommended steps.

scannow showed no problems.

net framework was already present

Visual C++ 2013 x86 and x64 versions are already present.  I ran repair installations on them to be sure.

Win 10 was fully up to date.  I scanned for any new updates just to be sure.

Used DDu to scrub the drivers

The only unusual thing was when I went and installed the Crimson 16.7.3 drivers.  The installed okay, but I was given the following notification:

"Default Radeon Wattman settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure."

I will now test everything by running the three applications that cause problems....wish me luck

penalt
Adept II

Okay, it happened again.  So, the steps given so far have not resolved the issue.  You did mention using older Crimson drivers.  Could you link me to an older set that might be beneficial?

Oh, I've also performed a memory test and there were no errors found.

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Older Crimson drivers available here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064

You could try lowering the GPU/Memory clock speeds by 300Mhz to see if that reduces the freezing.

0 Kudos
penalt
Adept II

Okay, I've dropped the GPU speed to 800 from 1100 and I'm going with the 16.6.1 driver.  Here is hoping. 

penalt
Adept II

And the issue continues.  Dropping GPU speed and going to the older driver seems to have had no effect. 

Could the card simply be incompatible with my system?

0 Kudos
lilgyro
Journeyman III

I have all this problem aswell,

but i've had this GFX card for about 8-9 months now.

I can play about 10-20 minutes of gameplay and the whole PC freezes.

Sometimes it'll just freeze booting into a game

I've tried rollingback drivers, scrubbing my PC of my gfx drivers and then reinstalling and nothing.

Wish I knew what was going on >.<

lilgyro
Journeyman III

Well I think i found a fix.
I noticed in the log SCANNOW left me that Itunes caused a lot of problems

I uninstalled Itunes and everything seems to work fine. Weird

maybe a resource conflict of some sort?

amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

It could be a hardware fault, rather than an incompatibility. Based on the information provided, it could be a GPU/PSU or Motherboard issue.

Can you try the GPU in a different PC?

Can you try the GPU in a different PCI-E slot?

Do you have a different PSU you can use?

0 Kudos