Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: R7 370 Black Screen When Playing Games or Running GPU Stress Tests

Jump to solution

Well that is a tough cookie! Some had said the latest Afterburner works with Adrenaline drivers. However 3rd party utilities like Trixx and Afterburner are know to cause Wattman to malfunction.

You have a very interest predicament. Kind of a chicken or the egg first thing. I your card doesn't support Wattman, yet AMD still supports your card, but the drivers are know to cause power phasing issues, and the only work around is to raise power limit, but the drivers don't give you access to that, and the drivers aren't compatible with 3rd party utilities to do that, then is AMD effectively not supporting your card. That is an interesting situation to ponder!

I think I would submit a a Issue Report on this:   AMD Issue Reporting Form

I also think it's a good question for Ray_M or amdmatt to address or pass up the line.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Regardless of so many threads pertaining to black screen posted here, it wasn't even mentioned as unresolved issue in driver updates. By the way, maximizing the power limit didn't work for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Yes but if Afterburner is conflicting with the new drivers then it might not actually be, being set.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

A little update, I tried using DDU and going back to older drivers again and it didn't work, so I went back to current and now its black screening faster, and sometimes when changing card settings inside of radeon settings. lmao.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I decided to go to Best Buy and picked up an XFX RX 560 4gb gpu. The problem is still here, so it must be the driver. I know it isn't my hardware, because my friends nvidia gpu worked just fine. Why is AMD not even replying to the people having this problem it has to be the drivers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

The problem is still here, so it must be the driver. I know it isn't my hardware, because my friends nvidia gpu worked just fine.

So, even the new card shows similar symptom?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

Did you uninstall the the drivers, remove the card from device manager before installing the new card?

Did you run DDU again FROM SAFE MODE before installing the very latest drivers 18.3.2?

Did you set the power limit after doing all of this back to it's maximum setting all the way to the right?

Did you set power profile to high performance?

Did you disable hybrid/hibernation sleep?

Did you disable Fast Startup (Windows 10 only)?

If not I would do all those things. This takes care of 99.9% of all issues regarding the drivers at a hardware level, meaning only software compatibility and feature issues are left unresolved.

If this isn't working for you and you went and bought a new card but new the 1050 ti worked fine. I appreciate the AMD loyalty, but you might be better off just returning the AMD card, if you do the above and still get no results. I'd get what you know works and call it a day. I will add though that if you are having power instability from your PS that would explain all of what you have said above. It would also explain why the 1050ti works as it only need normal PCIe power from the slot and has no external power connection.

Good Luck!

PS. If you are still waiting for an AMD response, these are Community Forums just as it says on the page you enter these forums. You need to file a request with AMD for anything else: Email Form  and/or AMD Issue Reporting Form

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Yes, it does, but its in the same family as my old card. I put an old nvidia card in and it worked completely fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

I see. Well then, since you can access the wattman now, why don't you try the workarounds others have posted in this forum, like setting the power limit all the way to the right. As for me, I bought my card used, from mining. When encountering the blackscreen and freezing, I thought that I got a defective card. But then when I came across this forum, littered with similar-sounding problems, I realized that this problem is quite rampant. Sadly to say, AMD doesn't actively respond to this issue, possibly marking them as isolated problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Im going to remain optimistic I'll go through everything on the list and make sure its 100% done before I take any further action. I did try another power supply that I got from Best Buy but it made my card crash even faster. It was a higher wattage but I don't think that had anything to do with it.

0 Kudos