cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

fluxr
Journeyman III

R7 370 Black Screen When Playing Games or Running GPU Stress Tests

Hi, I have an MSI R7 370 gpu which had the black screen when logging into windows problem. I recently got it RMA'd, and that fixed it for a few days, but now it has another problem. Whenever I play a game, or have a gpu stress test going, the screen will go black and be unresponsive. I have checked temps, and cleaned out my entire computer case. Im currently using another gpu in place of the R7 (a GTX 550 TI) , and it works fine, so I don't think it is the power supply. Does anyone know what could be wrong with it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

If a new power supply made the situation worse then there is something really wrong with that power supply and you should return it immediately. Please tell them it is defective and not supplying enough power, so some other person doesn't get this as an "open box" lemon.

Your system should never know you even have a new power supply so it should not respond in any way. The only way you ever know anything from a power supply is when it isn't giving you enough clean and stable power. Unfortunately this is the case for the MAJORITY of power supplies on the market.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
22 Replies
fluxr
Journeyman III

Nobody knows at all?

0 Likes

0 Likes

None of these worked at all, but what I did was start underclocking the card and playing games on low settings. I'd slowly raise the clock little by little, and eventually the card was running at normal speeds and working fine. I could play fortnite without getting the black screen, and could also Livestream with the gpu. But after I tried playing Dirt Rally, it came back after just a few minutes and now crashes on any game again. I tried buying a new power supply, which was a higher wattage. But, it started crashing again, and this time even faster. I literally have no idea what is going on. I took apart the PC and carefully put it back together, but I still get the black screen.

0 Likes
fluxr
Journeyman III

I am starting to think that the driver is frying the card or something this is literally ridiculous no one has any idea what is happening and I have already seen the thread with everyone having the same problem and it looks like AMD isn't even responding.

0 Likes
fluxr
Journeyman III

Still no dice, the card is still black screening.

0 Likes

Well, since you have nothing to lose, waiting for a driver fix that doesn't seem to appear soon, let me share my wattman settings (no blackscreen so far) for a different card (nitro+ 580 4gb on 18.3.1).

-30Mhz for all states' frequency (haven't tried leaving them at stock clock).

-state 1:      +5mV from the lowest possible value (lowest at 750)

state 2:      -25mV from stock clock (stock at 925)

state 3-7:   the stable value for my card is 1074mV at -30Mhz clock (stock at 1150)

-Memory frequency set to dynamic

-fan: min: 1200

target: 2225

-temp: max: 75

target: 50

Motherboard: 880-gma usb3

Windows 10 64bit 1607 (latest cumulative update)

rename relive executables(because I don't use it).

I also updated amd pci bus driver to the latest version (found on softpedia), if that helps.

0 Likes

I cant use amd wattman with my card, its an r7 370, I only have overdrive.

0 Likes

I would simply raise the power limit slider to its maximum for your card (all the way to the right) this fixes this 95% of the time. I would not use any custom setting to control the power phases just the limit slider in Wattman.

0 Likes

I cant use wattman, but I changed the same setting in msi afterburner and it doesn't work.

0 Likes

Well that is a tough cookie! Some had said the latest Afterburner works with Adrenaline drivers. However 3rd party utilities like Trixx and Afterburner are know to cause Wattman to malfunction.

You have a very interest predicament. Kind of a chicken or the egg first thing. I your card doesn't support Wattman, yet AMD still supports your card, but the drivers are know to cause power phasing issues, and the only work around is to raise power limit, but the drivers don't give you access to that, and the drivers aren't compatible with 3rd party utilities to do that, then is AMD effectively not supporting your card. That is an interesting situation to ponder!

I think I would submit a a Issue Report on this:   AMD Issue Reporting Form

I also think it's a good question for Ray_M or amdmatt to address or pass up the line.

0 Likes

Regardless of so many threads pertaining to black screen posted here, it wasn't even mentioned as unresolved issue in driver updates. By the way, maximizing the power limit didn't work for me.

0 Likes

Yes but if Afterburner is conflicting with the new drivers then it might not actually be, being set.

0 Likes
fluxr
Journeyman III

A little update, I tried using DDU and going back to older drivers again and it didn't work, so I went back to current and now its black screening faster, and sometimes when changing card settings inside of radeon settings. lmao.

0 Likes
fluxr
Journeyman III

I decided to go to Best Buy and picked up an XFX RX 560 4gb gpu. The problem is still here, so it must be the driver. I know it isn't my hardware, because my friends nvidia gpu worked just fine. Why is AMD not even replying to the people having this problem it has to be the drivers.

0 Likes

The problem is still here, so it must be the driver. I know it isn't my hardware, because my friends nvidia gpu worked just fine.

So, even the new card shows similar symptom?

0 Likes

Yes, it does, but its in the same family as my old card. I put an old nvidia card in and it worked completely fine.

0 Likes

I see. Well then, since you can access the wattman now, why don't you try the workarounds others have posted in this forum, like setting the power limit all the way to the right. As for me, I bought my card used, from mining. When encountering the blackscreen and freezing, I thought that I got a defective card. But then when I came across this forum, littered with similar-sounding problems, I realized that this problem is quite rampant. Sadly to say, AMD doesn't actively respond to this issue, possibly marking them as isolated problem.

Did you uninstall the the drivers, remove the card from device manager before installing the new card?

Did you run DDU again FROM SAFE MODE before installing the very latest drivers 18.3.2?

Did you set the power limit after doing all of this back to it's maximum setting all the way to the right?

Did you set power profile to high performance?

Did you disable hybrid/hibernation sleep?

Did you disable Fast Startup (Windows 10 only)?

If not I would do all those things. This takes care of 99.9% of all issues regarding the drivers at a hardware level, meaning only software compatibility and feature issues are left unresolved.

If this isn't working for you and you went and bought a new card but new the 1050 ti worked fine. I appreciate the AMD loyalty, but you might be better off just returning the AMD card, if you do the above and still get no results. I'd get what you know works and call it a day. I will add though that if you are having power instability from your PS that would explain all of what you have said above. It would also explain why the 1050ti works as it only need normal PCIe power from the slot and has no external power connection.

Good Luck!

PS. If you are still waiting for an AMD response, these are Community Forums just as it says on the page you enter these forums. You need to file a request with AMD for anything else: Email Form  and/or AMD Issue Reporting Form

0 Likes

Im going to remain optimistic I'll go through everything on the list and make sure its 100% done before I take any further action. I did try another power supply that I got from Best Buy but it made my card crash even faster. It was a higher wattage but I don't think that had anything to do with it.

0 Likes

If a new power supply made the situation worse then there is something really wrong with that power supply and you should return it immediately. Please tell them it is defective and not supplying enough power, so some other person doesn't get this as an "open box" lemon.

Your system should never know you even have a new power supply so it should not respond in any way. The only way you ever know anything from a power supply is when it isn't giving you enough clean and stable power. Unfortunately this is the case for the MAJORITY of power supplies on the market.

0 Likes

Alright so you were correct. I went to my friend and he used his pc and we swapped parts around and came to the following conclusion: My first card, the R7 370, is broken. It's basically scrap at this point, MSI did send me a broken card. The RX 560 worked fine in his build, so I went into wattman and lowered the power to -50%. This worked, so it is the power supply. I guess the one i bought from Best Buy was also not working at the time. I did inform best buy that the power supply had a problem with fan clicking, but I guess i kinda got screwed over because two parts failed around the same time in my PC. Anyway thanks for the help everyone I really appreciate it. I just needed a new GPU AND a new PSU.

0 Likes

Glad to hear you are running but you will likely need to be +50 not -50, but hey if it works for you with less power by all means. Typically default drivers are not allowing enough power.

Happy Gaming!

0 Likes