Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

amd_user7950
Adept II

"AMD Radeon VII may experience elevated memory clocks at idle or on desktop"

Two questions.

1. Is there a workaround to temporarily lower the memory clock?

2. Is having the memory clock stuck at 1000mhz bad for the GPU?

The lowest i can go on WattMan is 800MHz. Can't go lower.

PC Specs:

CPU - AMD 3900x

GPU - MSI Radeon VII

MB - TUF Gaming x570 Plus

RAM - DDR4 3733 16GB (2 x 8GB)

8 Replies
fnitti48
Journeyman III

I have the same issue. I thought they would have a fix by now. 

0 Likes
petbb
Adept I

r7 clock.gif

Mine is dynamic. Usually at 350Mhz during light load. Jumps to 1000Mhz only when gaming.

0 Likes
ahuber
Journeyman III

I do experience the same issue with Radeon VII (Adrenalin Edition 19.10.1):

Memory speed seems locked at 1000 MHz. Even when playing around with WattMan, the memory clock speed wont change.

wattman.jpg

0 Likes

I´m using the 19.10.1 too and tried older versions.
Max Frequency (MHz) is on Automatic in my Wattman, but still the same issue: HBM is always @1000MHz.
The GPU clock is fine - sinks down to 21MHz in idle/desktop.

The release notes of several ADRENALIN versions in the past AND the new Adrenalin 19.10.2 still have "Known issue: AMD Radeon VII may experience elevated memory clocks at idle or on desktop."

@AMD Support: We all know that you are focused to the new 5700 series and their problems.
But please fix that on the expensive VII i´ve bought several months ago, even though the VII ist EOL/Legacy. Thank you.

P.S. when it comes to high compute load (e.g. BOINC SETI@home) the HBM sinks down to 799-800MHz... 

0 Likes

Today i installed the 19.10.2 and reseted Profile Settings (Zurücksetzen) and created a new profile in WATTMAN => SETI now runs most of the time with 1000MHz HBM = fine. 

The idling/desktop HBM frequency is still @1000MHz... 

@averey: i just have a 60Hz FHD Monitor connected via HDMI.

0 Likes
phill4444
Adept I

Dont worry, the 5700 XT has the same Problem... look at the "RX 5700 XT memory clock stuck causing high temps when idle" thread. Its annoying.

0 Likes
averey
Adept II

Yes, the RX 5700 XT has the same high memory stuck at idle as Radeon VII. Only downgrading the refresh rate to 120 hz helps, but that is not really a good solution if your monitor is, actually, 144 hz.

0 Likes

Thats true, I'm forced to set 60hz on my 75hzmonitor (got 5700 XT), If I stick to 75hz then I get 60°C idle and a lot of fan noise...

0 Likes