Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

beldyn
Adept I

Question about RX 5700 XT Temperature and Fan RPM

Hello there,

I just have 2 questions;

1 - RX 5700 XT it is operating at high temperature ~85 degree on games and ~95 on hot spot(junction temp). Is this safe or not? Should i worry?

2 - When i change fan curve on wattman temperature goes 5-10 lower but it reaches 2800 rpm. What is max RPM of blower cooler? And is it safe or not?

I changed it like that

50 C - 12%

70 C - 32%

85 C - 45%

100 C - 60%

pastedImage_1.png

My Spec:

Ryzen 5 3600X

MSI B450M Bazooka

16 GB Dual Ram

PSU 750w

Windows 10 1903

Latest Drivers

1 Solution

1) It's safe and by design to keep the noise levels as low as possible.

2) It's BETTER for the longevity of the card to operate at lower temperatures, and you can set the curve to be as aggressive as you want, even at 100% it's not dangerous.

View solution in original post

26 Replies
m1adam
Adept II

stock fan speed is rubbish need to increase at least 10% from standard speed if not the gpu will run itself to oblivion

Thank you for your answer!

0 Likes

1) It's safe and by design to keep the noise levels as low as possible.

2) It's BETTER for the longevity of the card to operate at lower temperatures, and you can set the curve to be as aggressive as you want, even at 100% it's not dangerous.

I feel like i'm a pilot with %100 fan speed like ~4000 RPM but %50-60 is okey

0 Likes

Undervolt your core to around 970-1000mV and bring the core clock down to 1900Mhz. You should be able to cool it a lot better like that. You won't lose performance and you'll be able to run the fans at lower RPMs. AMD like to overvolt their cards.

Yeah i tried to undervolt but system crashed 2-3 times it's not stable right now. I think it is wattman issue. I guess i should wait for other wattman/driver version for undervolting.

0 Likes

wattman is just buggy as hell, i just checked my pcie bus on my asrock b450 fatality itx it seems updating the bios has enabled my pcie x16 lane to be pcie4 this could be the culprit that is causing all the crashes.

I have found a wattman settings for 5700 XT AE on reddit but i don't know should i apply on my card

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ccwbgk/recommended_wattman_settings_for_rx_5700_xt_ae/

0 Likes

Well, I don't know if you're still here but I have a hard time searching on google and reddit for a comment like yours. I have a doubt, I usually use the Standard configuration on Radeon Software, because I prefer to touch the graphic settings in-game rather than using an external software that may cause some issues (not saying it will ofc). So, how can I tweak the fan speeds? Since my profile is Automatic - Standard, is it fine if I change it to Manual and modify ONLY the Fan Tuning section? I guess it will work as an standard but with the tweaked fans right? I'm asking this because I reached 85ºC current temp and 95ºC junction temp playing RDR2 (summer) and fans didn't get higher than 1900RPM, so I don't feel confident playing the game. This questions may sound noobish but I never tweaked anything and just want to hear a more expert advice. Thanks.

0 Likes

Yes you may set it to manual and only change the fan speeds and then save the profile so you can have it anytime. You don’t have to change any other setting but the fan speed.

patent122
Adept II

Do UV to 1900Mhz/1000mV or something like that and set fan speed to 40%, card will be cool and quiet. Stock fan curve is terrible, also voltage is way to high. Clock on this card has more to do with power limit than the voltage

I'm gonna try it and also share result

0 Likes

How'd it go?

0 Likes

Trying for 3 days and it's stable right now. Tried on PUBG, Apex Legends, WoW and BFV.

0 Likes

What settings u using in wattsman and how is the fps in wow, pubg, apex and so on

0 Likes
deptec
Adept II

Just got the card Yesterday and was wondering about the temps. I just played 30mins of division 2 and when i closed it, the temp was 94 ans junction temp 112. I havent touched anything, anyrhing i Can do to lower the temp?

also, the weather here is crazy hot and so is it in my apartment

0 Likes

Hmm I was wondering how this card would perform while playing division 2, I'd say if you haven't already done so the best way to cool it is follow what these guys above us are saying about undervolting your card and creating a custom fan curve. My card idles at high 40c low 50c and runs around the 60s to just about 70s I've had a few crashes but I think it's just wattman and driver issues honestly I use the same voltage as overclock3r above us and it seems to be just fine for me.. you might crash a few times but it's a really good starting point. Hope this helps happy gaming!

0 Likes

It's within limits but you can put a more agressive fan curve in Global Wattman.

Stock fan curve runs hot but quiet. Just up it to at least 50% at around 80 degrees and work backward on the curve from there.

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Original fan curve is set to appease people who hate the turbine sound, but at the same time its not nearly as fast as a blower type fan needs to be to properly cool a card. If you increase it to like 50-60% at around 80c point it will drop 20c+ off gpu temp and 15c+ off Junction temp. A slightly more aggressive Idle will help too.

0 Likes
deptec
Adept II

So did any1 find a Nice sweet spot for fan curve and so on, to get the temp Down, without losing on perfomance

0 Likes

Hi

I've found for mine 1900 Mhz GPU clock, 910 Mhz memory clock and 1021 mV safe with max fan speed 45%. Temps are around 78 GPU and 95 hot spot after like 1h of gaming with max GPU usage. FPS loss is only 3% comparing to stock. 

Checked with benchmarks like heaven, occt, superposition, furmark and some games - no errors. 

0 Likes
jokerr
Journeyman III

I'm using the settings I saw from a VEGA56 and it's perfect. (5700 XT XFX)
29 C - 47%

50 C - 50%

60 C - 60%

65 C - 65%

78 C - 85%

before: 70 / 85C after: 50/65

0 Likes

I was using something similar, but i went back to normal, cuz the fan noise was starting to annoy me

I prefer the noise than the high temperatures 

0 Likes
irishman52365
Journeyman III

I know this is an old post I was just doing some looking around since I got this card recently for a good price and the subject caught my eye. I am an overclocking fiend here is what I am running it at. It is stable never gets above 70 degrees at a fan speed of of 78% max.  I am overclocked at 2104 mhz 1080 volts.  Using 3d mark my average gpu clock ios right around 2061 constant no crashes even running multiple tests back to back. After 4 hours it will freeze tho with a harsh test but thats 4 hours :O.  My card is throwing out numbers equal to if not slightly higher than a stock 2070 super.  AMD severely locked this card down and under everythinged it and over volted it. The navi is powerful. As for the turbine affect I have a completely sealed computer case with sound dampening in it,  running 5 fans and 2 water cooled fans as well the graphics card and I have an amd ryzen 9 3900x overclocked to 4.25 mhz with a boost of 4.8 at 1.4 volts that doesn't get hotter than 71c and the gpu temps are  68c gpu/ 72 junction/ 78 hot spot during harsh hour long stress tests.  Only sounds I get is from the exhaust fan setups and its more of the case fans running at a constant 1100 RPM and my radiator is top mount exhaust those fans run under harsh load at 1600 causing negative pressure sucking more hot air out of the case as I have 3 intake and 4 exhaust 2 of the exhaust are 1800 rpm max and the radiator fans run at 2300 rpm max. I don't keep it this way its just my extreme profile for benchmarking mainly. I tone it back a bit when I game certain harsh load games.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes
Miguelaz9
Journeyman III

the fan speed is always super high (32116 rpm), but the fan is running normally, when I edit the curve and set it to any percentage, the fan runs at maximum, I wanted to set it to 50/60 but it's clearly at maximum.

0 Likes