Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Orcspewer
Journeyman III

Quake 2 XP (source port) visual corruption 6900XT

screenshot says it all, did not happen w/ my GTX 1080 20211222145643_1.jpg

0 Likes
1 Solution

It's not driver related, the developer talks about how for some reason Quake 2 XP  uses an older version of OpenGL and it should work with AMD cards, but for some reason it's broken on 6000 series GPUs. It works on R 9 2X0, RX 480 etc. Maybe someone from AMD can look into this, I have made several bug reports and I still have the problem on my 6700 XT. It's never worked with any driver.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the AMD Club. Have you uninstalled all old graphics drivers in Safe Mode with DDU and installed Adrenalin 12/21/1. Here in the community and in my posts there is often a safe method to install. I do this with every new Radeon driver. The reason is that otherwise Microsoft drivers sit between the AMD installations because they do not get along. The graphics machines, I miss the CryEngines, are also involved in problems with the graphics card with DX 12. Merry Christmas!

0 Likes

It's not driver related, the developer talks about how for some reason Quake 2 XP  uses an older version of OpenGL and it should work with AMD cards, but for some reason it's broken on 6000 series GPUs. It works on R 9 2X0, RX 480 etc. Maybe someone from AMD can look into this, I have made several bug reports and I still have the problem on my 6700 XT. It's never worked with any driver.

hi, im author of q2xp. I'm use ogl4.5-4.6 (its older version? lol)

problems with amd started when I rewrote the render to the bindless textures, which are part of ogl 4.5. It's funny that full support is announced, but the bindless do not work on new maps. This version of ogl is already 7 years old. And amd still can't write normal drivers. Hello from ati? They were the same bunglers.

0 Likes

Yes, and it's very frustrating that if you play with the corrupted video, the speed is fine and everything seems to be rendered correctly, except for the visual noise that ruins it. Any wonder coders out there that want to figure out how to fix Quake 2 XP or somehow emulate OGL 4.5 so it works, it would be appreciated. Or maybe some clue from AMD so that it can be fixed?

0 Likes

Quake 2 XP on 6000 Series AMD cards still get the corruption as of 22.1.2. I hope it can be fixed at some point.

Also, Quake 2 XP related, RT capable cards including AMD CAN run the expansion packs with Quake 2RTX. Looks really great!

0 Likes

Also to clarify a lot of times your solution does work by removing and reinstalling the drivers, it's just that for Quake 2 XP it doesn't. Let's hope it can be easily fixed in a driver update for the 6000 series because it is a fun game and you can also play the expansion packs!

0 Likes