cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Kuma433
Adept I

problems with graphics, could it be the processor?

I don't know where else to look

My pc restarts when I have a graphics card, specifically a GT 1030. The truth is, I don't know why this happens, I don't get a screenshot, an error window, it simply restarts as if nothing had happened. When the graphics card is not in place, everything is fine, both my processor and the graphics card have new thermal paste

the Specifications of my pc:
asus prime a320m-k
24gb ram 2400mhz
athlon 3000g
ssd 250gb
1tb hdd

graphic that I want to install: gt 1030

0 Likes
8 Replies

If a PC restarts by itself without pressing the "Off" power button that could be due to several issues:

1- Overheating (CPU or GPU generally)

2- Power issues - The PSU is either underpowered for the GPU/CPU hardware or the PSU is going bad

3- Overclocking CPU or GPU

4- Defective Hardware (Motherboard, GPU, CPU. etc)

5- Sometimes Driver issues.

To try and isolate which hardware is having the problem.

Install your Nvidia GPU card and download the freeware OCCT and run all 3 tests.

See if the PC restarts or crashes during any of the three tests.

While running each test keep a very close eye on Temperatures, Fan Speed, and PSU Outputs (3.3/5.0/12.0 VDC).

Generally try to see if any readings are abnormal during the tests.

You can also use some other Stress tests that might be better for testing GPU cards to verify OCCT tests.

But I believe you should open a Nvidia G-Force Forum thread since it concerns your Nvidia GPU card from here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/

Kuma433
Adept I

Thanks, but based on your opinion, you think it's mostly the gpu since it only happens when I install it, I'll still do it and ask in the forum there

In my last reply another reason for sudden shut downs is Incompatible drivers or hardware.

Possible it could be a Nvidia driver issue or you need to configure your Nvida GPU card in Nvidia Settings to make more stable.

Reread your Original Post. In BIOS make sure your GPU card is the default Display adapter and not your AMD Integrated Graphics.

Generally when BIOS sees a GPU card is installed it automatically switches it from the Integrated Graphics of your processor to the GPU Card unless in BIOS it is changed from Auto to IGPU. But that shouldn't prevent your PC from shutting down by itself. You just won't have any video output from the GPU card.

Also there might be a conflict between the AMD Driver and the Nvidia Driver. Someone else here at AMD Forums had a similar problem and he uninstalled the AMD driver to his IGPU and his PC starting working normally afterwards with hsi Nvidia GPU card installed. I believe he just install the AMD driver via Device Manager which just installs the AMD Driver and any related settings it needs to operate but not the full feature AMD Driver package.

I not sure but even if you disable the AMD IGPU without removing the AMD driver it could still cause issues with the Nvidia driver.

Which by the way you should check for any errors in Device Manager. If so, please post an image of Device Manager showing the errors.

Can you upload a image of GPU-Z just to see if your Nvidia GPU driver is installed correctly?

Also a GPU-Z showing the AMD IGPU.

EDIT: You can uninstall both the  AMD and Nvidia Drivers in Safe mode using DDU. 

Now just install the AMD basic driver only and then later on install the Nvidia driver full package. See if the sudden shut downs continues.

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

EDIT: After you installed 1030, you did connect monitor cable to 1030 and not to motherboards video output, right?

----

Go to BIOS and see if there is some setting about which GPU is used iGPU or dGPU and try that setting.

Not sure but I don't think any version of 1030 requires power cables. Still make sure yours doesn't either. The other thing that comes to mind is, your motherboard has a fairly weak VRM and looking at specs, it likely is not brand new either. In worst case small part of that VRM is trying to run both the integrated GPU and that PCIe device and simply is not able to. So if you find some "Disable iGPU" or "Disable IGFX" switch, you could try that, but since neither GPU is under much stress during boot-up, not sure it if this would explain it.

If you try it, notice that with disabled iGPU, if the 1030 still fails, you won't get any image to screen before clearing CMOS. To clear CMOS, you need to unplug computer from wall socket, wait for a while for capasitors to run dry, then either remove BIOS batter (shiny round thing in this picture) or like in previous option, but instead of removing battery, connect  CLRTC jumpers with something that conducts electricity and hold it there for a couple of seconds, then boot machine. After that, you should go to BIOS, enable XMP or DOCP and if you have changed other settings.

His problem is that when he installs the Nvidia GPU card the PC shuts down by itself.

It is possible there is a conflict between his AMD IGPU driver and Nvidia's GPU driver.

I also mentioned about checking to make sure his Nvidia  GPU card was the default Display adapter in BIOS but even if his IGPU was the main display adapter in BIOS,  just means he won't get any video output on his GPU card only from his Motherboard video outputs.

But the other tips I thought was good advice also.

0 Likes

>His problem is that when he installs the Nvidia GPU card the PC shuts down by itself.

I was thinking about how it looks if computer first starts, you see initialization, but when Windows starts to load, screen goes black/no signal message. Someone might Interpret this as computer shutting down. While it normally doesn't go like this, I had this happen to me just yesterday.

>I also mentioned about...

I have a bad habit of sometimes skimming through existing messages too quickly and do not notice everything relevant. Was not intentional.

Kuma433
Adept I

It takes me a long time to respond because I'm still working on this, I no longer have amd adrenaline, I only have the basic amd drivers for its operation, I already have geforce control panel, and geforce experience, practically the complete package.

I have a game open for me to work on the graph to see what happens in a period of timenvidia.gif

0 Likes
Kuma433
Adept I

it restarted again, it reached a temperature of 52 °c which can still be normal?

No message appears, it's as if the power went out in my house, and then it turns on normally