cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

missduck
Adept I

Problem with Integrated 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 8500M (Lenovo) not working

Hello iam having a problem with my Integrated 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 8500M (Lenovo) It shows no utilization or activity or temperature in either the AMD Radeon Settings or the AMD Radeon Software 

Hardware:

Intel Core i7 5500U @ 2.40GHz With latest update

Broadwell U/ULT 14nm Technology

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)

LENOVO Lenovo G50 (U3E1)

Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Lenovo) With latest update
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 8500M (Lenovo) With latest update

Operating System:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

0 Likes
10 Replies

Are you using AMD generic laptop driver or Lenovo's?

Does Device Manager show your GPU card without any errors or yellow exclamation marks?

I suggest if you are using AMD generic Laptop driver to uninstall it and install Lenovo's own GPU driver and see if it is recognized or being used. Even if it is 4 years old from 2016. This will show whether it is a AMD generic driver issue or something else.

Make sure that you have the latest BIOS/UEFI and CHIPSET versions installed.

Since your Lenovo Laptop has an Intel APU, you must have the latest Intel Graphics driver installed for the AMD GPU driver to work correctly.

From AMD Forums: Laptop graphics update...How to  and how to active Switchable Graphics on your Laptop: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-017#SGApplication 

Here is Lenovo Support on how to activate Switchable Graphics on their laptops: How to configure switchable graphics on ideapad laptops - Windows - US 

Here is where to download the latest HD85xxM AMD laptop driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support 

Here is Lenovo Support download page for Lenovo G50-80 Drivers: laptops and netbooks :: lenovo g series laptops :: g50 80contentdetail - US 

The last Intel Graphics driver is from 2018 while the AMD Graphics driver is from 2016.

You may want to try Intel's own Driver updater to update all of your Laptop's Intel drivers at one time from here: Intel® Driver & Support Assistant 

0 Likes

Hello, Iam using AMD Integrated Lenovo GPU There are no errors in device

manager i have the latest BIOS and UEFI and i have the latest drivers for

literally everything although after i downloaded the radeon software the

radeon settings were gone and i downloaded the amd catalyst center and

cannot find the other power options,how do i get the normal radeon settings

back?

0 Likes

It could be due to a corrupted AMD Driver installation.

Download free program DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Run it in Safe mode with the internet disconnected. Once it finishes uninstalling the current AMD Driver in Safe mode and boots back to Windows Desktop, still with the Internet disconnected, delete the AMD Installation folder C:\AMD if it was created before.

You can run DDU in Windows Desktop but then you would need to reboot or restart your computer to finish deleting all trances of AMD.

Now install the full AMD Drive package you downloaded manually from AMD Download page. Not the express package. Run the package and if it installs correctly again delete C:\AMD folder and reconnect the internet. 

This should prevent any conflict when installing the new version from the previous version.

By the way, C:\AMD is always created whenever you run the AMD Driver package

AFTER you have removed all traces of AMD Driver, download the Lenovo's AMD Driver and install that and see if your laptop GPU is recognized and working . IF IT IS, then do the same procedure as mentioned above and install the latest Laptop AMD Driver and see what happens.

This way you can tell if AMD generic drivers are compatible with your laptop or not.

0 Likes

I have successfully erased the AMD Driver and Software to the point my

software cannot detect an AMD Radeon Graphics card and i cannot open any of

the software even right clicking on the desktop i cannot see radeon

settings,Now may i get a link to the full package as i cannot locate it.

0 Likes

Here is where to download the latest HD85xxM AMD laptop driver: https://www.amd.com/en/support 

Since your Lenovo Laptop has an Intel APU, you must have the latest Intel Graphics driver installed for the AMD GPU driver to work correctly.

If you Lenovo Laptop is a G50-80 here is where you can download your Lenovo Graphic driver:  laptops and netbooks :: lenovo g series laptops :: g50 80contentdetail - US 

If it isn't go to Lenovo Support of the G50-80 and input the correct model laptop.

From my previous reply.

0 Likes

Oh wow that was impressively fast,Very embarrassing of me now i have

downloaded the Radeon software,Now you want me to delete the Local Disk AMD

File then install the Lenovo's AMD Driver?

0 Likes

Yes. Delete the created AMD Installation file C:\AMD at the Root directory.

If the Lenovo Laptop model you have is G50-80 then download first the Lenovo Graphics (2016) even if it is old. This is just to see if the Lenovo Driver which is customized for your laptop will work correctly.

If it does work correctly and your laptop is working to your satisfaction then leave that old driver installed. But if you need a newer AMD Driver (because of a program or game) then try installing the one you downloaded from AMD full package and see if it works correctly using the same installation method as stated in my previous reply.

Note: Every time you run the AMD driver installation file it will always generate an AMD Installation folder at C:\AMD. Best to delete this folder to prevent conflict with the AMD driver you are currently installing.

If your Lenovo AMD Driver is having the same problem then it is something else wrong with your laptop.

0 Likes

The troubleshooting procedures I have mentioned are just basic stuff.

Forgot to mention, make sure your Windows 10 is fully updated via Windows Update. AMD Driver depends on using the latest Windows Updates to work correctly.

After you finish installing the Graphic driver, please run this simple Windows command in a Elevated Command Prompt or Powershell:

SFC /scannow.  This will check your Windows OS for corruption or missing critical files.

Hopefully the Lenovo AMD Graphic driver will work correctly in your laptop.

Otherwise I suggest you open a Lenovo Support ticket

Also a online AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) from here:https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes

I have checked my OS and no critical files were missing,I have opened a

game by the name of Team Fortress 2 and the AMD Radeon GPU's showed

excellent results, Thank you very much and thank you for your time.

Glad to hear that everything is working now.

Seems like you installed the AMD generic driver by the image you posted.  So it was just a corrupted AMD driver installation that caused your original issue.

Just remember to do the previous method of installation again when updating the driver and make sure to delete C:\AMD to save space (~1 gbyte) and prevent conflicts with newer driver installs in the future.

Also that SFC /scannow command is a useful command to run if you see you are having issues with Windows or a program or software. I run it once or twice a month as a maintenance procedure.

0 Likes