Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

aph3lion
Journeyman III

Problem with driver installation for Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition

Hello Everyone,

I've got a problem with the driver installation of my GPU. The installer (Radeon software adrenalin edition 18.9.3) opens and when it comes to the point of detecting the hardware (in my case the GPU) my whole computer freezes and the only thing I can do is to reset. The same happens, when I try to use the AMD cleanup tool. The GPU also does not show up in the Windows device manager. The only GPU the device manager shows is "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter", which also freezes the computer when I try to update the drivers, and "Intel HD Graphics".

Here ist the rest of the Hardware:

• Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit
  • CPU: IntelCore i5 3470 3.2GHz (overclocked, don't know the exact speed)
  • Mainboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4-M
  • RAM: 16GB DDR3
  • Memory: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD
  • (GPU: Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition)

If there is any important information missing please let my know!

Help me, AMD community! You're my only hope!

8 Replies

Try a clean install > Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

0 Likes
vollterr
Adept I

I have a similar issue.

7870 also.

Anyone had any luck solving this?

The 7870 is crippled by only being able to run the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter"

Whenever I upgrade to the latest recommended drivers the screen goes black.

After a restart windows loads for a few seconds (small circle spinning) and then the screen goes black again.

All I can do is boot into Safe Mode and roll back the drivers so it is using the Basic Display Adapter drivers..

I have done a full reinstall of the latest version of Windows 10. 64.

i5 3570k

12GB ram

MSI 7870 Hawk 2gb

ASUS Maximus V Gene

I am having this exact issue with this same card but I am on windows 7. Did you get a solution to this vollterr?

No luck sorry. MSI support were absolutely hopeless also.. this is what they said..

Content: 
Dear Mr./MS, Hello:
This is the MSI Customer Service center.
Thank you for buying using MSI products!
For your letter of inquiry, provide the following reply:
You're using Windows. 64-bit,7870 Hawk only with Windows 10 32-bit,windows7 32-bit,windows 7 64-bit, because there is no driver for Windows10 64-bit.
1. Driver Website: https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/support/R7870_Hawk#down-driver&Win10 32
2, Please uninstall the current driver completely, before perform the new driver.
3,While you install the Nvidia Geforce drivers, please using the CLEAN INSTALL option (Right At the bottom of the 2nd install window)
 You can reboot your system and press F8 before login into system, then select safe mode to access your system, uninstall the current driver and reboot your system

0 Likes
raoulduke
Journeyman III

Almost a year later, but I have the same problem. As soon as I enable the driver for my Asus Radeon HD 7870 the screen goes black. I had the problem on Windows 7 and now on Windows 10 after upgrade.

I have been using the card since January 2013 with no (well, almost no) problems.

Did anyone manage to solve this? 

0 Likes

Didn't solve it. I ended up buying a 7970 from a friend for $30. I was

pulling my hair out.. I suspect planned obsolescence

like wise we also ended up buying a new card, just so stupid.  

On Wednesday, May 29, 2019, 2:20:39 PM PDT, vollterr <amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

|

Community

Re: Problem with driver installation for Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition

in Graphics

Didn't solve it. I ended up buying a 7970 from a friend for $30. I was

pulling my hair out.. I suspect planned obsolescence

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

- Go to the message on Community (you’ll need to log in).

- Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer button.

- Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

This email was sent by Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

0 Likes
benman2785
Big Boss

go start your pc with installed drivers into safe-mode

if you have desktop there than your GPU-Bios is modded and you need to install atikmdag-patcher

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes