MVP

Re: PowerColor Red Dragon RX 5700 XT no display, won't boot into BIOS

https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1565953800#spe

Minimum System Power requirement (W)650W
0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Maybe time you bought a new Power Supply Unit with ~ 750 Watt "Gold" rating. 

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

@npma225 wrote:

Corsair CXM Gray 650W. More than adequate for this card, as far as I know

Test the Power Supply and GPU to make sure you are not dropping below 12v.

Use OCCT from OCBASE dot COM. Run the test. See what it shows. 

colesdav
MVP

Latest version of OCCT can be found here: 
https://www.ocbase.com/

It can bve used to check full GPU VRAM.

0 Likes
rawintellect
Challenger

It definitely seems like a "brownout". You're hurting for power. I'd suggest buying a more powerful power supply and hopefully you haven't done any damage to your board/GPU.

0 Likes
npma225
Adept I

Returning to this after a busy week, am going to use OCCT when I get home. If it does turn out that it is dropping below 12V, what then? Does that mean I'd need a new power supply or is there a way to fix this in settings. I just recently bought this PSU new from Best Buy so while it is a relatively older model, it has virtually zero wear and tear on it. Looking at the PSU tier list on LinusTechTips, it's a C-Tier unit, but I really see no reason why it would be causing the issue here all things considered

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Yes you would need a more powerful power supply. You also might want to consider going to like an 850 if you think you will upgrade to a new GPU in the next couple years. Then new cards seem to be a bit more power hungry. Better to spend an extra 25 bucks then have to spend over 100 again later. 

0 Likes
npma225
Adept I

Going to do this when I get home. One last thing that I haven't really fooled with is Windows' Power Management settings, particularly the PCIe Link State Power Management. Might this be the root of the issue, if it is enabled? Guess there's only one way to find out..

Just trying to flesh it out logically in my head to the best of my knowledge. If the card isn't dead, then it pretty much has to be related to power management/consumption settings or boot settings within the BIOS, or both... It doesn't make sense to me that it could be a driver issue if the PC doesn't even POST into the BIOS. It seemingly can't be anything that loads after the OS. 

Appreciate the help btw 

0 Likes
npma225
Adept I

Understood. I was planning on using the 5700XT pretty much until obsoletion so hopefully more than a couple years, but that is good to know regardless. Will post readings from OCCT later on

0 Likes