Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mltco78dhs
Journeyman III

Powercolor Red Devil RX 480 multi-monitor black screen problems

My System

• Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 (rev 1.x) motherboard
  • Ryzen 6 1600 CPU (OC to 3650)
  • Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 2 x 8 GB RAM (clocked to 3000)
  • Windows 10 1803 17134.112 on a Hynix Canvas 250 GB SSD
  • Secondary storage as follows:
  • Hynix Canvas 120 GB SSD (currently empty - pending an Linux install there)
  • WD Blue 250 GB SSD (World of Warcraft and utilities related to add-on development and testing only)
  • WD Blue 1 TB HDD (everything else)
  • Primary monitor is an HP Omen 32 inch 2650 x 1440 running Freesync at 75 hz through the #1 DP slot.
  • Secondary monitor is an RCA flat-screen 1920 x 1080p at 60 hz through the HDMI slot.

GPU occasionally and without any warning drops both monitors - I get the "no signal" message (not just black screen - it's like I unplugged them).

The CPU is not effected at all. I had a Discord session up the last time this happened and I could still talk and hear, but my screens were blank.

If I move the secondary monitor out of the HDMI slot and use an adapter to plug it into the #2 DP slot, this problem does not occur.

The obvious solution is "do that then" but I'm concerned that this might be indicative of a hardware problem that might manifest itself in some other way.

Am I supposed to be able to hook up unlike monitors, one on DP using Freesync at 2560 x 1440 75hx and one on HDMI not using Freesync at 1920 x 1080p 60 hz? I've never found anything that says I can't and lacking that, I would assume that it's okay.

I have run GPU-Z while several instances of this failure occurred and there is nothing in the log that indicates my temps got too high. My fans kick in at 60 and most of the time my temps were around 57.

I've had this card installed for just under a year but only obtained the newer monitor (the HP Omen) about two months ago and this has been happening (when I had the second monitor attached via HDMI) pretty regularly (up to two or three times an hour).

It will reset itself as well - after a bit (no idea the exact amount of time) my screens will come back.

I've tried unplugging and reconnecting the DP and HDMI cables with no effect.

It's more a question of "Should I be worried about the health of my GPU" than anything else at this point.

I would appreciate any feedback on this - I haven't been able to find anything that specifically addresses my own configuration and what the limitations are for connecting differing monitors to that card are.

0 Likes
0 Replies