cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

justneedhelp
Journeyman III

Power connection between Radeon Pro W5700 and Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550?

I am trying to set this up and there are two power connector bundles coming out of the Breakaway Box, each of which has a 6-connector and a 2-connector.

Do I hook up one 6-connector, both 6-connectors and one of the 2-connectors, or something else? How do I choose which connectors to use and which ones to leave hanging? There's nothing about it in either manual or that I can find via Google. 

Halp?

0 Likes
1 Reply

Are those two 8 Pin connectors (6+2) like it is mentioned in the Specs for your Sonnet Breakaway: https://www.sonnettech.com/product/egfx-breakaway-box/techspecs.html#techspecs

Internal Connectors

• Two 8-pin (6+2 pin) power connectors

Those sound like the same type of GPU PCIe Power connectors that come with PSUs. 

You can connect either just the 6 pin connector if the GPU card has a 6 PIN PCIe Power port or your can use the entire 8 Pins (6+2) to connect to your 8 Pin GPU PCIe Power Port.

This SuperUser Tech site explains it better:

What are PCIe 6 2 pin connectors for?
Some video cards have 6 Pin PCI Express power connectors and others have 8 Pin PCI Express power connectors. Many power supplies come with a 6+2 PCI Express power cable which is compatible with both kinds of video cards. The 6+2 PCI Express power cable is made up of two pieces: a 6 pin piece, and a 2 pin piece.
Here is a picture of a PCIe 8 pin (6+2) GPU Power connector:

Screenshot 2021-01-25 153501.png
0 Likes