cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

2005Guyver02
Adept I

Power Colour AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Devil 16Gb DDR6

I have a Power Colour AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Devil 16 Gb DDR6 which I purchased from Overclockers, the box and card both say 16Gb DDR6 on them and yet the  AMD Radeon Software says that it's 8Gb? (I did dump the box last week, which makes the other issue a pain in the rear)

The card seems to have a terrible overheating issue with games that don't cap the FPS on them, nor give you an option in-game.
Through the AMD Radeon Software I was able to sor of cap it between 30 - 60 fps, by turning on chill; but for a graphics card costing a little over £600.00 round the start of the year I was expecting a lot better quality. It seems that some games by pass the chill settings and manual tuning of the fans making it Thermal Throttle with in 2 minuets.

Are there any uptodate drivers that can give the correct information on the card in the machiene?
And is there a way (without forking out more money I can't afford out) to solve the heating issue without taking the card appart? (Don't feel comfterable taking a expencive 6 month old card to bits, when I have no in-come)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Weird, it must have been a one off card. I bought it through Overclockers, brand new and not 2nd hand. The listing, box, box content at the time all listed it as a 16Gb, unfortunately I dumped the box a while a go while cleaning. The card still has the sticker saying 16Gb. It's not like them to send out fake cards, what it ticking me off even more right now is that CPUID ASUS CPU-Z is also only seeing 8Gb DDR6. (That said there was a channel on YouTube that said that CPU-Z would only see half if the RAM was in a dual channel config, what is weird is that I have 32Gb DDR4 RAM on the motherboard and it is seeing the full 32Gb)

Looks like I'll be digging out the receipt sooner than I thought.
It's extremely hard to take out that card without taking half of the PC out first just to get to the release clip. (Not looking forward to this)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies

Powercolor don't list a 16GB model ?, Use GPU-Z it has a 'Lookup' button which should show correct card model.

If you bought pre-owned it might have have been an ex miner (abused) card.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Weird, it must have been a one off card. I bought it through Overclockers, brand new and not 2nd hand. The listing, box, box content at the time all listed it as a 16Gb, unfortunately I dumped the box a while a go while cleaning. The card still has the sticker saying 16Gb. It's not like them to send out fake cards, what it ticking me off even more right now is that CPUID ASUS CPU-Z is also only seeing 8Gb DDR6. (That said there was a channel on YouTube that said that CPU-Z would only see half if the RAM was in a dual channel config, what is weird is that I have 32Gb DDR4 RAM on the motherboard and it is seeing the full 32Gb)

Looks like I'll be digging out the receipt sooner than I thought.
It's extremely hard to take out that card without taking half of the PC out first just to get to the release clip. (Not looking forward to this)

0 Likes

There are no 5700xt cards other than 8GB.

Post a picture of the card that has 16gb on it

Hello,

As mentioned previously, and you pointed out CPU-Z under the graphics tab it will state some of the GPU's information. Yet system tools are our best friend in getting assistance with issue's. Top one are GPUZ-Z, CPU-Z and HWiNFO64 are my favorite three as they provide so many insights as to the basic information, but more in depth information when seeking assistance. GPU-Z provides more information than CPU-Z as it's focused for the task of checking things such as the specifically mentioned "Lookup" feature.

Powercolor RX5700 XT series page @ https://www.powercolor.com/products?id=1492658578&type=1565161116 

GPU-Z via Tehcpowerup @ https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ 

HWiNFO64 @ https://www.hwinfo.com/ 

CPU-Z @ https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html  

X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3600XT, 32G of F4-3400C16D-16GSXW, XFX RX5700, NH-D15 Chromemax.black, Fractal Design R5, SilentWings 3 case fans, Intel 660P M.2 1T, WDS256G1X0C M.2 256G

OK, So I would up biting the proverbial bullet Which set me back another £790.00 (Which I couldn't really afford/being on the dole) Living off minimum wage (40 hours a week ~£900 per month after tax) was do able before inflation and tax hikes, now with inflation and tax hikes and on the dole (~£320.00 per month) Is Damned Hard!

I've removed the RX5700XT (Turned out to be 8Gb on the sticker) Regardless the problems on that card were getting beyond bad, specially after updating the drivers. And opted for a Power Color AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT Red Devil 12Gb DDR6.
I was after the RX6900XT but there is absolutely no way in hell I'm spending over £800.00 for a graphics card let alone £1,350.00 for one. To top it off I also had to replace my SBZx Sound card (Luckily I had a spare in the backup PC)

0 Likes

Hello,

I'm not saying that their a bad vendor as I've never done business with them, but one never knows after a seal is broken at what point could something have happened. I've had a new motherboard taken out of a new retail box, and my bad one put in it's box to be put back on the shelf as if it was new. I never saw that sales associate ever again.

I was a bit on edge so to speak when I made my last processor purchase which did get shipped from China, usually all of my purchases are in country. I'm fortunate that most orders are ground shipped and they take no more than seven days for me to receive them. Yet I am glad that I use a very well known business that would've probably covered a loss had the original seller been nefarious. The Ryzen 3600's had been out of stock, and I got my 3600XT just over MSRP of what the 3600 would've cost me at that time. It being late at night I missed the fact that it was coming from China. I'd Google'd some of the shipping companies and the stories made my stomach drop. But none of them were true I'm pleased to say.

But then unknown defects can brick anything. My worst was that a automotive starter was purchased, and I brought in the bad original (core) as it would be rebuilt somewhere. Twice I brought starters back to the same retail unit, an upon receiving the third unit I decided to have them test it before I'd even leave. The last starter was good and installed and the vehicle was returned to my client. Fortunately the store was within a mile from where I was doing the replacement.

So for being a bit long winded and thank you for your patience if you actually read that entirely.  lol Cheers

Hope you get an RMA

X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3600XT, 32G of F4-3400C16D-16GSXW, XFX RX5700, NH-D15 Chromemax.black, Fractal Design R5, SilentWings 3 case fans, Intel 660P M.2 1T, WDS256G1X0C M.2 256G
0 Likes

The RX6800 and 6900 series GPU cards have 16GB of vRAM Memory while the RX6700 series has 12GB vRAM Memory while all the RX5700 series have 8GB of vRAM.

so unless someone modified the RX5700XT and doubled the vRAM from 8GB to 16GB then you were scammed into believing you were purchasing a 16GB GPU card.

Possibly someone went to a lot of trouble to modify the RX5700XT Label by changing it from 8GB to 16GB.

EDIT: Can you upload a Screen shot showing the RX5700XT with 16GB of vRAM MEMORY being sold at Overclockers.com?

I went to Overclockers.co.uk and I didn't see any RX5700XT for sell: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards?ckSuppliers=487&ckTab=0&sSort=2

All of the Powercolor GPUs had the correct amount of Memory and most were RX6700, 6800, & 6900 Series GPU Cards.