Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Bobtastic101
Adept I

Power Color RX 5700 XT Red Devil Black Screen leading to System Crash

Hi all, 

I am running a Power Color RX 5700 XT Red Devil that is intermittently crashing my system. Screens go black and then the system reboots and occasionally the POST on the motherboard faults on the VGA LED...

It is currently running the newest AMD driver via Adrenalin after using the AMD driver removal tool, but I have seen this issue on each driver installed. I have tried reseating all the components (expect the CPU). I have updated BIOS, Chipset and other board drivers.

I know I am not on my own with these sort of issues... but I am struggling to come up with other things to try!

System Spec

Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) 

Ryzen 5 3600 w/ Coolermaster Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16

Crucial P2 500GB NVME M.2 SSD x2

Power Color RX 5700 XT Red Devil

EVGA 1600 Watt (temporary swap for Corsair TX650M)

Phanteks Eclipes P400A with x6 RGB 40mm fans

Thank you in advance!

0 Likes
11 Replies
lesovers
Adept I

Try this out it worked ok for me;

Load Radeon software drivers 20.2.2 (I also have used AMD driver removal tool)

Using the Radeon software set the “Performance Tuning" to manual and;

• Adjust the power limit to 150 Watts GPU chip power (using the GPU-Z power reading and the GPU at 100% load), this is -20 on the 5700XT reference card and -30 on the MSI 5700XT Gaming X card
  • Adjust the Boost Frequency to 1900Mhz max, this is limited to about 1750Mhz max by the reduced power limit anyway

0 Likes

Just some quick questions / ideas to consider:

1) Are you using more than 1 display/monitor?

- if yes: are both on the same resolution and refresh rate?

- are you using HDMI for one and DisplayPort for the other monitor?

2) Do you get black screens with only 1 monitor connected?

- if yes: try to lock monitor refresh to 60Hz (for testing)

3) depending on your PSU): Try not to use daisy chained 8pin+8pin cable.
- Use two separate 8pin cables instead.

... and just in case you want to read more:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/jyyhm4/determining_the_issues_on_my_rx_5700_xt_or_how_i/

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]
0 Likes

@RPX100 wrote:

Just some quick questions / ideas to consider:

- if yes: are both on the same resolution and refresh rate?  I am using two monitors. They are not the same model so have different resolutions and refresh rates.

- are you using HDMI for one and DisplayPort for the other monitor?  Both are connected over DisplayPort. I have ordered a pair of DisplayPort 1.4 cables to see if that helps...

2) Do you get black screens with only 1 monitor connected?

- if yes: try to lock monitor refresh to 60Hz (for testing)  No, both of the screens go black and then the system reboots.

3) depending on your PSU): Try not to use daisy chained 8pin+8pin cable.
- Use two separate 8pin cables instead.  My usual PSU has the GPU cables connected in a daisy chain but the one I am using at the moment has two separate cables.

... and just in case you want to read more:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/jyyhm4/determining_the_issues_on_my_rx_5700_xt_or_how_i/

Reading this thread now! Thank you!

I should say that this problem doesn't happen during web browsing and watching YouTube. It has happened whilst running Furmark 1440 (2K?) preset and Cinebench but mainly happens when running Call of Duty: Warzone.

0 Likes

@Bobtastic101 wrote:

@RPX100 wrote:

- if yes: are both on the same resolution and refresh rate?  I am using two monitors. They are not the same model so have different resolutions and refresh rates.

You can try to disconnect the 2nd monitor and see if you still get Black Screen, when you run only 1 monitor.

Try to use the one with less refresh rate (Hz), if you can. Just to see if it makes a difference.

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]
0 Likes

@Bobtastic101 any update on your crashing issues?

I recently started testing the driver issues on my own (new) RX 5700 XT.

the only thing that worked to prevent crashes:

is the 5700 XT stable now? - reset to driver defaults (link to other topic)

0 Likes

@lesovers wrote:

Try this out it worked ok for me;

Load Radeon software drivers 20.2.2 (I also have used AMD driver removal tool)

Using the Radeon software set the “Performance Tuning" to manual and;

• Adjust the power limit to 150 Watts GPU chip power (using the GPU-Z power reading and the GPU at 100% load), this is -20 on the 5700XT reference card and -30 on the MSI 5700XT Gaming X card
  • Adjust the Boost Frequency to 1900Mhz max, this is limited to about 1750Mhz max by the reduced power limit anyway

Thanks to for the advise. I will give that a try and see if it makes a difference.

0 Likes
asdft1
Adept I

Hello,

i have the same issue with this card. I get random black screens while playing games.(especially AC Origins & Valhalla)

Did u solve ur problem by now?

my specs are:

ryzen 5 3600

Red Devil 5700 XT

2x8 Corsair 3200 Ram

500gb Nvme

Be quiet 700W gold+ PSU 

MSI B550m Bazooka board 

i use latest adrenaline driver but tried older ones aswell.

0 Likes

@asdft1 did you try this solution yet? [crash fix] RX 5700 XT driver 20.8.3 
This was the fix for all my blackscreens and crashes on my own RX 5700 XT.

0 Likes

I will give that a shot today.

Atm i just installed the amd driver without adrenaline. Im still testing since i didnt had a blackscreen yesterday but i am pretty sure it was more random luck then the fact that adrenaline is not installed. As soon as i get the next blackscreen ill try ur fix. Ty anyways :)

PS. is there any official site to download older drivers? 

0 Likes

@asdft1 here: AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 XT Previous Drivers 

You can find that link yourself, by going to the drivers page for your GPU
and then find the "previous drivers" link, which is just a standard blue link
just above the "knowledge base" and beneath the "operating system" selection.

0 Likes