cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Power Color Red Devil 5700 XT crashes with drivers above 20.4.2

Hi,

My 5700 XT have driver crashes with a error message = driver timeout or the games will crash to the desktop with no message, minimized and can t be maximized again.

I have no issues in DOTA 2 with the 20.4.2 driver, downloadable from the power color website, but recently I wanted to play spellforce 3 and needed the 20.7.1 driver cause there was a fix in it which was needed for the game.

So, dota 2 and other games starting to crash again (spellforce 3 is running without a problem with 20.7.1).

I have a good psu (bought one with 2 rails), a ryzen 5 cpu, 16GB Ram, a Tomahawk MAX Mainboard, tried so many fixes but nothing helps.

So I guess this is a driver issue and not a matter of faulty hardware and I am starting too loose my nerves.

I am a AMD Fan, CPU and GPU wise, but  I am starting to think about never buying a AMD card again.

I need help, or a nvidia card....

2 Solutions

Which API do you run DOTA2 in? 
There is a choice. 

DX9, DX11, OpenGL, Vulkan. 
If you play DOTA2 from Steam, there is an option in the Steam launcher. 

Right click on Properties -> DLC and you can download the interfaces you want. 

I am not an expert at DOTA2, I just use it for testing PC Builds. I normally run it at 4K.

I am testing it now for you. 

OK? 

Bye.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

So Ty colesdav, 

I have found the solution.

The hint with dx was the right way. The games which had crashes were set on DX9 and obviously that is a problem with 4k resolution. 

Still had a crash but not with a driver timeout.. I noticed that the red devil was in OC Mode, switched to silent mode and almost everything is fine.

Get some graphic errors in the beginning of a dota match, but this fine. They don't appear later anymore.

Sorry for my rage 

View solution in original post

21 Replies

Any reason why you do not download and install Adrenalin 2020 21.3.1?
DDU first. 
Instructions here: 
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-driver-fix-and-install-using-ddu/m-p/426238

Then install 21.3.1

Thanks.

0 Likes

Because like i Said,

every driver above 20.4.2. crashes almost every game.

I DDUed the **bleep** out of my PC and tried out every driver

0 Likes

I am currently running a PowerColor Red Dragon RX5700XT with Adrenalin 2020 20.3.1 drivers.
No crashes yet.
I run the GPU at stock settings mostly. 
Just been running Watch Dogs Legion benchmarks with +50% power limit and fans maxed out and an overclocked Ryzen 2700X.
Only crashing I see is if I set the CPU Frequency over a fixed 4.15GHz. I normally run games like BFV at fixed 4.3GHz. 
The drivers seem o.k. to me. 

0 Likes

@StubbornSpirit 

do this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHd0065duKE

also never put the AMD software on gaming mode that is the main problem 

0 Likes

Everything done in the past

Maybe your GPU is faulty or just a "lower quality" GPU die. 
Maybe PowerColor are far too optimistic about the overclock they force on those Red Devil GPUs because of the coolers they fit on them. 

Looking at the GPU Specs for the

PowerColor Red Devil RX5700XT: 
https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1565160726#spe
https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1575278707#spe

1905MHz (Game) /up to 1770MHz (Base) / up to 2010MHz (Boost) *Note:Game Clock is the expected GPU clock when running typical gaming applications, set to typical TGP (Total Graphics Power). Actual individual game clock results may vary

versus

PowerColor Red Dragon RX5700XT:
https://www.powercolor.com/product?id=1565953800

1795MHz(Game) /up to 1650MHz (Base) / up to 1905MHz(Boost) *Note:Game Clock is the expected GPU clock when running typical gaming applications, set to typical TGP (Total Graphics Power). Actual individual game clock results may vary

It could also be that AMD have screwed up in setting the GPU Clocks on your card with later drivers. 
There was a very long thread about RX5700XT GPUs blackscreening and crashing on the old version of the AMD Community.
One thinmk I noted in some driver releases was that the AMD GPU driver was setting very clock speed in the driver versus what the Manufacturer Specifctions stated were the Base and Boost GPU frequencies. 

You have probably looked into that, but just saying...

My PowerColor Red Dragon runs Watch Dog Legions at 1080p Very High Settings at stable 2020 MHz Game Clock so maybe PowerColor just use marketing BS to get people to pay extra to buy their big expensive Red Devil GPUs  versus their cheaper Red Dragon versions. Or perhaps I got a good GPU die by luck. 

The RX5700XT Red Dragon is O.K. - but I do not overclock it as it is already on the edge of stability out of the box last time I tried adjusting the GPU clock frequency in Adrenalin 2020 earlier versions. 
It sounds like a jet engine if I run it with max fan speed.

The Red Devils should be quieter for sure, given the better cooler and fans.

0 Likes

I just checked   Adrenalin 2020 20.3.1

It reports the following 3 power states for the RX5700XT Red Dragon. 

P1

P2

P3

0 Likes

So, I tried out the latest driver from 29.03.

Same problem, after a few seconds dota 2 crashes with the "driver timeout" message.

I tried out this version because Windows installs a driver automatically and I get the message that the radeon software and the driver version doesn´t match. So I deactivted the windows updates again (deactivating for the gpu doesn´t affect anything) DDUed the drivers and installed the latest driver.

So I got a crash and went back to the old driver, with no issues....

0 Likes

So, if i am the only one with this kind of problem... I guess my graphic card is faulty?

0 Likes

So I´ ve tried everything which was suggested here, on youtube or forums. I work in the IT but after troubleshooting and troubleshooting with no results for drivers after 20.4.2. I have enough of this **bleep**.

This was the last AMD card I ve bought.

Buying a Nvidia card right now.

F this sht

0 Likes

I have been running PowerColor Red Dragon RX5700XT on GTAV and other games with Adrenalin 2020 20.3.2 since it was released. 

No crashes. 

Sounds like your GPU may be faulty since you already tried most of this I hope: 

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-driver-fix-and-install-using-ddu-memory-psu-and-vr...

Good luck getting your new GPU. 

I can try DOTA2 for you if you want. 

I will see if it crashes. 

It might just be the game... 

0 Likes

Maybe this would give me a hint.

I mean, if the hardware would be faulty, the games would crash with all driver versions.

The weird thing is that spellforce 3 works with the 20.7 driver, I had no crashes and played for hours.

But Dota2 and others games crashing (cyberpunk( with drivers above 20.7.

I play dota 2 (only dota2) in 4k resolution but have tried it with all lower resolutions, too.

Which API do you run DOTA2 in? 
There is a choice. 

DX9, DX11, OpenGL, Vulkan. 
If you play DOTA2 from Steam, there is an option in the Steam launcher. 

Right click on Properties -> DLC and you can download the interfaces you want. 

I am not an expert at DOTA2, I just use it for testing PC Builds. I normally run it at 4K.

I am testing it now for you. 

OK? 

Bye.

0 Likes

Hi.

I played one online game of DOTA 2 in each of the available APIs, at 4K maxed out settings.  
No crashing, although the -gl (OpenGL) was showing some frame dips. 
Seems to be working fine for me. 

Sorry I cannot help more. 
Got to go for now. 

Bye.

0 Likes

Thanks for your help.

I´ did another try.

Made a sfc /scannow and dism repair, updated windows to the latest version.

Used DDU in safemode, restarted without ethernet connection and installed the latest recommended driver version, started dota 2.

It crashed while I´ ve opened the steam overlay twice in ~ 3 seconds with a driver timeout.

The reason for my driver crash problems was a slightly to high overclocked vram clock & to low voltage (undervolted to 1.146V)....
just reduce it from 1810mhz to +-1800mhz & vcore 1.146V to 1.17V fixed my problems (xfx rx 5700 xt thicc 3 ultra)

Ryzen7 5800X 4,95ghz; LLC3; 420mm Liquid Freezer2; Corsair RGB Pro SL 32gb/2 - 3600mhz CL18; Sapphire RX6800 Pulse OC; Asus XG27AQ 165Hz; MSI X570 Gaming Plus PPT:137W EDC:135A TDC:95A; BeQuiet! PP 730W

I do not bother to overclock the GPU CLK or the VRAM on the PowerColor RX5700XT Red Dragon that I run. 
It is only a 2 slot 40mm GPU so the cooler is not as big as the one on Red Devil or the XFX rx 5700 xt thicc 3 ultra. 
I do not really want to run the GPU at higher temps than with the default stock settings for the card. 

I do run it with fans set to max and the power limit set to +50% at times - if I need more FPS. 

AMD auto undervolt on the PowerColor RX5700XT Red Dragon did nothing and since the GPU is stable enough now with the latest Adrenalin 2020 21.3.2 drivers I just left it as it is.

0 Likes

So Ty colesdav, 

I have found the solution.

The hint with dx was the right way. The games which had crashes were set on DX9 and obviously that is a problem with 4k resolution. 

Still had a crash but not with a driver timeout.. I noticed that the red devil was in OC Mode, switched to silent mode and almost everything is fine.

Get some graphic errors in the beginning of a dota match, but this fine. They don't appear later anymore.

Sorry for my rage 

RE: Sorry for my rage 

I didn't know you were angry about anything .

Glad you managed to get it working by taking your PowerColor Red Devil RX 5700XT out of OC mode. 
As for DX9 crashing - maybe you should re-verify the game files and see if Steam reinstalls DX9 at launch?

Glad you got DOTA2 running - I had not looked at the game for ~1 year so it was interesting for me to see how it looks with updates.

Please mark your answer as correct, so others can see the solution.  

Thank you.

Bye.

0 Likes

I tested switching on the steam overlay with both the Nvidia and AMD GPU whilst running the DOTA2 game at 4K highest settings  in this case. I tested all API. 

Still no crashing. 

Thanks. 

0 Likes