cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

achams
Adept I

Port usb-c on Pro W5700 does not work???

Hi,

I'm trying to connect a display on Pro W5700 using usb-c port, but it's not working.

any hint ?

Thanks

0 Likes
12 Replies

Are you using this on an Apple or Windows computer?

If you are using an Apple computer this fairly new Thread about connecting a W5700 USB-C Port has good information on how to get it to work: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/amd-radeon-pro-w5700s-usb-c-port-and-pro-display-xdr.2222125/ 

Need more information on your computer and Monitor info.

What cable are you using to connect from the USB-C port to the Monitor?

achams
Adept I

Hi,

Thanks for your answer...

I'm using the new MacBook Pro 16", and I have 2 Apple Thunderbolt 2 Display 27,  connected to the Pro W5700 with the following adapter :

Hope that will help..

Best regards.

Possibly fsadough‌ (AMD Employee) who is the resident expert of AMD Professional GPU cards can be of assistance if he has time to answer.

Just to rule out the TB3>TB2 Adapter, have you tried to connect directly a TB3 Monitor to see if it works with the GPU USB-C port?

Try connecting the Monitor directly to your Mac Pro's USB-C port and not the GPU USB-C Port and see what occurs: Use an external display with your MacBook Pro - Apple Support 

Hi,

Yes it works when I connect the screen to my Mac directly.... But the AMD Pro W5700 will be not be the default Graphic board...

Bes regards.

0 Likes

Are there any BIOS settings that can make the AMD GPU default Display or in your MAC OS?

Otherwise, I have no other suggestion except that fsadough‌ help you. He might know how to get your GPU USB-C port working with your Monitor.

What MAC OS are you using?

EDIT: Okay, my ignorance of Mac computers. I didn't realize that the MACBOOK PRO 16 is a laptop and you are using an eGPU card. Found this about how to make the eGPU card default: Use an external graphics processor with your Mac - Apple Support 

0 Likes

Thanks for your help, 

I hope that fsadough has time to answer my question...

Cheers..

Pleasehttps://community.amd.com/thread/196211 before posting. "USB-C on W5700 does not work" doesn't tell me anything to start debugging. I have no idea where your W5700 is installed on, which OS, driver, displays or adapters you are using. As far as I know MACBOOK PRO 16" is a laptop. How can you possibly install a W5700 in a laptop !!!!!?????

Dear Sir,

I've installed AMD PRO W5700 in a chassis : Node Pro - Thunderbolt 3 PCIe Expansion Chassis with PD | AKiTiO 

On My mac, I'm running Mac OS  10.15.3. and I use Apple display 27 Thunderbolt 2 with the adapter :

Hope that makes it clear for you 

Cheers

Dear Sir,

I just need to understand the problem please, you can not leave the customers without support

Thanks for your comprehension. 

0 Likes

AMD Forums isn't the Official AMD Support. This is just a User to User forum.

FSADOUGH is an AMD Employee but he helps out, I imagine as a favor to AMD Users, when he can plus he is probably fairly busy with his regular responsibilities at AMD.

If you want to open an Official AMD Support ticket go here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

But to tell you the truth, not sure if they will help since you are using an Apple PC. They might say to open an Apple Support ticket. But I am just guessing. Maybe they can steer you in the right direction anyways.

0 Likes

achams wrote:

Hi,

I'm using the new MacBook Pro 16", and I have 2 Apple Thunderbolt 2 Display 27,  connected to the Pro W5700 with the following adapter :

Hope that will help..

Best regards.

Yeah, that's never going to work unfortunately. One of the big shortcomings of Apple's TB Display was that it needed to be plugged into a TB port. You cannot plug it into a mini DisplayPort directly and have it work, even though the mDP output is what drives the display. The display is quite infamous for that, or so I thought, as it even refuses to work when connected to TB ports on some non-Apple systems.

And the TB3-TB2 adapter you are using is similarly notorious for not having the capability to output mini DisplayPort when a mDP cable is connected to it. IMO, that's not functionality you can expect out of a ~$50 adapter that was released when it was, but I guess Apple including "USB-C" in the name and saying it is "bidirectional" can be misleading. (Since one end is TB1/2 and the other end can be USB-C, maybe train of logic deducing mDP as the greatest-common-divisor could cause the confusion?)

The W5700 has USB-C DisplayPort Alt. mode output, which appears to work just like the TB3 ports on your MBP, but they are not the same signal. I guess most relevantly, the way DP is output through a USB-C connection is different from the way DP is carried over a TB3 connection.

You could build a quasi-multiplexing device that takes a display signal, convert it to DisplayPort if necessary, and send it over a mimic TB1/2 connection¹, but it is not pretty nor efficient, for what it would cost, you could sell the TB displays to replace them with similarly spec'ed TB3 displays from LG, Dell, etc. or much better panels if you went for a USB-C model without the dock/expansion function.

¹This would basically be a Thunderbolt "host" device (a Thunderbolt add-in PCIe card for example, or an external expansion board, which you'll have to build yourself because Intel doesn't certify Thunderbolt expansion boards with Thunderbolt + DisplayPort outputs) consisting the TB controller, DisplayPort inputs routed to the controller board (additional circuitry if input isn't already DP), power supply and cooling for the device, and the fake TB1/2 output ports that look exactly like mini DisplayPort, and only carry mDP, but is actually an "empty" Thunderbolt link capable of the signaling that lets it drive Apple's TB display. I figure building one would cost at least $200.

achams
Adept I

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your great answer, it's really helpful...

Best regards