cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mllapan
Journeyman III

Pixel Format and Color Depth?

I have a Samsung TV that I use as a second monitor.

Full specs here: MARKIT – samsung ue43nu7092u - 43" class 7 series led tv 

If I use 4-4-4 YCbCR and color depth 8 it works good if I turn HDR in Windows 10 control panel, just mouse seems a bit laggy, not like laggy but not really smooth.

If I use 4-4-4 YCbCR and color depth 10 or 12 it works and randomly displays black out screen, just to return it few seconds back on..

If I use 4-2-2 YCbCR and color depth 8 it shows nothing at all.

If I use 4-2-2 YCbCR and color depth 10 or 12 it works.

If I use 4-2-0 YCbCR and color depth 8 it works.

If I try to use 4-2-0 YCbCR and color depth 10 or 12 it will switch to YCbCR 4-4-4.

Why would my TV work on 4-4-4 YCbCR and color depth 8 and on 4-2-2 YCbCR and color depth 8 it shows nothing at all?

Why do I get random screen blackouts on 4-4-4 YCbCR and color depth 10 or 12?

What I will use and why?

0 Likes
4 Replies
mclingo
Challenger

if you drop your refresh rate to say 25hz do you black screen stop, if they do it suggest something in your output chain cant handle the HDR bandwidth -  have  you also set your TV to DEEP COLOUR or whatever the equivalent is on your mode?l. could also have a cable which isnt properly rated for 18gb/sec

For best results in movies use something like MPC-BE or HC, set it to full screen and set it match the refresh rates of the movies. Set your PC 444 FULL RGB 8bit.

MADVR renderer is the best HDR playback renderer, if you are not familiar with this it can be a steep learning curve to get into how it works, if you are a HTPC movie buff and want you movies to look as good as they possibly can then you should defo get into this, if you are an occasioal gamer / movie watcher then stick with MPC-BE or MPC-HC.

Do not in any circumstances use VLC, its pants.

0 Likes

I have no deep color option, just dynamic, natural, film....on TV.
I realized your point, while I understand what you're saying, that is nothing about what I 've asked.

I asked nothing about players for media files or anything like that.

As I said 4-4-4 YCbCR color depth - 8bit - works, 4-2-2 YCbCR and color depth 8 it shows nothing at all.

It is obvious that TV supports 4-4-4 YCbCR color depth - 8bit, and switching it to 4-2-2 YCbCR and color depth 8 make screen just black.
Repeating question again, why would 4-4-4 8bit work, and 4-2-2 8bit not work, its obviously not a TV problem, but might be something what AMD Graphic Card (
Radeon™ RX 580) does not support or HDMI (can't be HDMI, because it is already sending 4-4-4 to TV, why wouldn't it send 4-2-2), so we have AMD Radeon as a problem, or we don't?

What I noticed is that has something to do with HDR option that can be turned on in Windows Control panel, and problem with 4-2-2 YCbCR and color depth 8 sometimes occurs if I try to toggle on HDR, other times it just occurs without trying to toggle HDR, sometimes it works without HDR toggled on, sometimes it works only if I toggle HDR on, and if it does not turn to black while toggling onto HDR.

I assume there is no HDR for 4-2-2 with 8bit, nor 4-2-0 8bit, I am first tiem seeing those numbers, but playing around this i realized it does not support, and what might be the problem is moment of switching between modes confuses AMD driver.

That is about 4-2-2!

PC 444 FULL RGB 12bit or 10bit giving me disco on TV, every second it goes black.

PC 444 FULL RGB 8bit works with "not smooth" mouse scrool.

I am most comfortable on 4-2-0 YCbCR and color depth 8, and I use this format, but it is not HDR.

Finally, Radeon™ RX 580 on 3840x2160 is giving these problems, and it happens on any resolution, does not matter if I lower to 1080p.

To put this all in one sentence...

4-4-4 and 4-2-0 will let me do 8bit, and nothing over it.

4-2-2 will let me do 10, or 12, and nothing under it.

I don't see logic in this?

0 Likes

you need to look at your TV intructions then as you are probably using a HDMI port setting with limited bandwidth which would exactly explain whats going on.

my LG OLED has 4 HDMI 2.0 ports, however to use them for 4k HDR you have to set the port to DEEP CCLOUR, if you dont you get black screens, audio drops outs and sometimes screen corruption.

which TV do you own?

0 Likes
frantisekz
Journeyman III

I have the same damned issue (RX 580, Samsung Smart TV UE55NU8002).

Whenever I enable HDMI UHD Color on Samsung Smart TV (2018 generation) which is necessary to be able to output more than 8 bit and ycbcr 4:2:0, I'll get pretty unstable video output with "no signal" whenever I try to set 4k output or reboot the computer.

This works just fine on nVidia cards with the same cable and the same setup otherwise. Also, it seems the problem is wide spread... [0]

[0] https://www.reddit.com/r/hometheater/comments/4whaiq/cant_get_hdmi_uhd_color_working_on_my_samsung/

0 Likes