cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Voador
Adept I

Performance Degrades after a while, why?

Hi, i've recently upgraded my PC to a Ryzen 3600 while still using an old videocard, a r9 380. After short play sessions it seens that GPU utilization becomes erratic and, therefore, fps suffers a little, but mostly frame pace becomes bad and the image stuttery. What is odd is that reseting the computer seens to fix the issue. I've also established that CPU and GPU are no throttling since both run at a tolerable 70-75ºC.

comparison.png

Above shows GPU utilization for Sekiro in the same game section. Left is after fresh reset, Right +/- after one hour of play.

Anyone have a guess as to why this is happening? I can't find a particular reason. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

I think I found the solution. I've noticed that VRAM usage was going up and up as my sessions went on. At one time I was using 2GB while idling in desktop. Completely cleaning the drivers and going with the default Windows 10 one seens to have worked. I'm now getting regular readings.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Thanny
Miniboss

There could be any number of reasons why the system would start to slow down over time.  Memory usage is what I'd look at first.  If you're booting from a hard drive, that would make swapping quite slow when you overcommit on memory.

0 Likes

I think I found the solution. I've noticed that VRAM usage was going up and up as my sessions went on. At one time I was using 2GB while idling in desktop. Completely cleaning the drivers and going with the default Windows 10 one seens to have worked. I'm now getting regular readings.

0 Likes

Scratch that. Error still persists. It seens though that I have found out what triggers it: very specific effects such as blood splatter, fire etc (such as this one). I have no clue as to why.

0 Likes