Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

jksano
Journeyman III

Re: PCI-E slot died with RX 480

Jump to solution

Isn't there supposed to be a 3.3v pin with rated amps at 3 amps on the pcie slot itself? That's an extra 9.9 watts you're not mentioning. I agree with you though that the extra power usage is a cause for concern. I'm having trouble just raising the cash for the RX 480, having to do so again for the motherboard as well would be disastrous. I'll likely have to go for custom cards with more power connectors just in case.

0 Kudos
maddxav
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

The thing is that they actually were getting fried by Crimson drivers 15.12 I think it was, not totally sure. I know it because I experience the issue first hand. When I first got my R7 370 I installed the Crimson driver, and everything was going alright until I got artifacts in a game, and when I checked the temps it was over 100 C, and the fans locked really low. I had to use Asus GPU Tweak II for taking control of the fans and fix the problem.

0 Kudos
eveluso
Adept I

Jump to solution

300W from the PCI-E slot? Lol, no need for 6 or 8 pins connectors them.

Cmon, who can be dumb enough to believe this? The 24 pin motherboard connector only has two +12V pins, that powers the mobo and all of the pci-e slots.

0 Kudos
semitope
Adept II

Jump to solution

You tried the GPU in another PC? I bought a card once that only worked in 8x slots. Didn't boot in the full x16 slot.

Otherwise, weird situation. If the 480 did kill it I guess you got lucky. Because reports would be all over the place. Your level of motherboard should be pretty common.

eveluso
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hm, they measure the wattage with an wall meter? Thats it? How can they now things like power factor and the power supply efficiency during the test?

0 Kudos
cowtown62
Adept III

Jump to solution

roquen22 is the profile name...... honestly man tons of cards go out of 75W spec. 950 has models without power connector that draw 80 watts typical gaming load.... Its likely just the motherboard callin it quits Asrock isnt known for boards that last a very long time.

0 Kudos
todaybobby
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

My guess is since the 480 is pulling much more power from the PCI-E than it should (since the 6pin cannot provide enough), it fried the slot. At the same time, overclocking the cpu and gpu on a 500w power supply is not a good idea in the first place. Given your old 750 ti had a much lower tdp, you probably never ran into any issues, but now it's starting to show.

Basically, you're overdrawing the psu leading to power spikes and drops that'll fry your mobo. 

0 Kudos
neo5555
Adept I

Jump to solution

Dude, not trying to make fun of your PC, but in all seriousness you need to give it a good clean.

Your motherboard in particular is filthy !!!   There's crap all over it, especially on the components around the battery .

That my friend is a recipe for disaster.

0 Kudos
testi
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Let me ask you one simple question.

You know what he is talking about?

In germany, Tom´s Hardware wrote, that the RX 480 can kill PCI slots and cause sound troubles because of too much power from PCI.

Ok. I can´t say anything against it, because i have no analyzer, nor everybody here has. So all is speculation.

But wait. Lets use the information erverybody can use.

Go to Google -> tomshardware gtx 750 ti

Klick on Power consumption. Now we can see, with the great messure equipment from tom, that the gtx 750 ti has an anverage of

64 Watts (you can see that from the graphic?) a max of 141 Watts and a peak of 150 Watts. Whats the problem? Oh ok, the gtx 750 ti

has no extra power plug, so every watt comes from the PCI.

Why nobody claims that it breaks the PCI specs. Nobody reported of broken mainboards or sound problems.

Whats the difference? Maybe one is Nvidida and the other is AMD?

roquen22
Adept III

Jump to solution

My original post clearly states the motherboard is an AsRock 970 Extreme4. That's exactly what the picture shows. The error code is on the bottom right of the motherboard. d6

0 Kudos